We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost City Trek

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Lost City Trek
Save

I am planning on doing the Lost City trek sometimes at the end of April-beginning of May. I have not decided yet which company to hire since I want one that native ppl would benefit from and one that would offer some interaction with native ppl, besides the guides.

Which one would you recommend?

Also, would you recommend the 4day or the 5day trek?

TIA

7 replies to this topic
Colombia
Level Contributor
6 686 posts
217 reviews
145 helpful votes
1. Re: Lost City Trek
Save

I have done this trek, though when I went there was only one company so cant really recommend from that side, other than I think they will be pretty much the same - same route, same places to stay etc.

I did the 6 day one when I went and there was a lot of fluffing around (walking two hours then long long rest times) , so I personally would do the shorter trip unless you are not very fit or really want to drink in the scenery.

Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia, Ecuador, Medellin, Bogota, Cartagena
Level Contributor
4 123 posts
276 reviews
73 helpful votes
2. Re: Lost City Trek
Save

𝑨𝒔 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕 𝒊𝒏𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒎𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝑩𝒊𝒄𝒌𝒔, 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒌𝒔 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒔𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3. Re: Lost City Trek
Save

Thanks. I will take the 4day tour with Expotur.

Edited: 31 March 2021, 18:53
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
72 posts
4. Re: Lost City Trek
Save

Thanks! I will take the 4day tour with Expotur.

Edited: 31 March 2021, 18:52
3 posts
1 review
5. Re: Lost City Trek
Save

You can easily do it in 4 days if you're in good shape. You'll probably be pretty shattered by that stage anyway so I'd opt for 4. I went with G Adventures who only provide a 5 day option as the fifth day is spent visiting one of their community projects at an indigenous village.

Tours depart from Santa Marta and I know Wiwa Tours and Magic Tours are two of the main providers. I'm sure there are others out there but those are the two I mainly saw. I think you can also start the tour from Palomino too but I'm not sure who the tour providers are out there. I do know that you cannot do the trek independently and must go with a tour group. If you need more information on what the trek is like, what to pack etc I've written a detailed blog about my time on the trek which may help :)

https://www.thevoyagingvirgo.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-the-lost-city-trek/

Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia, Ecuador, Medellin, Bogota, Cartagena
Level Contributor
4 123 posts
276 reviews
73 helpful votes
6. Re: Lost City Trek
Save

@ The Voyaging Virgo - An excellent post, thanks for the read. You blog and photos are a must read for anyone contemplating this trek.The practical suggestions you provide are priceless.

I get the comments about 'heat and humidity' and so be prepared to be wet and sweat all the time, this is great advice as 'I get it' on what your trying to convey as it is hard to describe but only when your in this heat and humidity you understand it.

Question - I am curious how you were able to re-charge your battery's on your electronic camera equipment? Possible at the camps?

And what were the meals like? Meat dishes or all vegetables/fruits?

Also the link did not work at the end of your write up, the one where you mention "If you are looking to go on this trek I have set out my detailed packing list for the Lost City trek based off of my own experience in a separate blog here."

Edited: 29 July 2021, 15:55
3 posts
1 review
7. Re: Lost City Trek
Save

@South America Voyager - Thank you so much for your kind comments and for taking the time to read my blog.

In response to your questions:

1. Electricity at the camps is pretty limited so I do suggest taking fully charged devices with you and a spare battery for your DSLR (although mine lasted the 5 days). I also recommend taking a small charging pack with you. You can easily purchase a cheap one from Amazon.

2. Meals - I'm a vegetarian so food is always an issue for me when travelling. They didn't cater especially for special dietary requirements. It was the same meal for everyone but minus the meat/fish. Something to bear in mind if you have any allergies as I think food was all cooked together.

Meals were pretty much the same most evenings consisting of rice, arepas, eggs, salad, and meat/fish. Breakfast was fruit, toast, arepas & coffee. We had fresh fruit breaks during the day and at the end of each day we'd be given a pack of Oreos or a chocolate as dessert but I would stash this away as a snack for the following day.

Thank you for your questions, I have updated the post to reflect the above points. Thank you for also bringing the broken link to my attention. I will rectify this shortly. Please do check out my other Colombia posts and let me know what you think. New blogs on Colombia, Peru and other countries are coming in due course :)

https://www.thevoyagingvirgo.com/category/colombia/

Edited: 29 July 2021, 19:57
Reply to: Lost City Trek
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Marta
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.