We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Marta or Palomino?

Glendale, California
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
11 helpful votes
Santa Marta or Palomino?
Save

I’m going to Santa Marta for one night, from Cartagena I’m January. I’d like to enjoy the beaches and do a hike in Tayrona. It is doable for one night and fly to Medellin the next day? I’m being told Palomino is the hip young town to stay at which is closer to Tayrona, but it looks even further.

I was thinking if it’s really worth it, to skip Rosario and stay in Santa Marta (or Palomino) for 2 nights instead of one.

Colombia
Level Contributor
6 627 posts
217 reviews
142 helpful votes
1. Re: Santa Marta or Palomino?
Save

I would skip Rosario and stay in the Tayrona Park 1 or two nights. Some factors to consider:

From Cartagena to Santa Marta is 4 hours. If you go to Tayrona direct, then 5 hours.

Minivan services such as Marsol over door to door from your hotel in Cartagena to Santa Marta , or Park Tayrona. Buses also operate.

If you still want to stay in Santa Marta, you can easily visit the park in a day with a tour, or by yourself.

The park is closed Feb , though you state January, so good.

Polamina is past Park Tayrona, and a good option if you want to stay on the beach and do tubing etc.

Glendale, California
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Santa Marta or Palomino?
Save

Thank you! Do you have hotel recommendations?

Colombia
Level Contributor
6 627 posts
217 reviews
142 helpful votes
3. Re: Santa Marta or Palomino?
Save

Ecohabs if staying in Park Tayrona. There is another place with a lovely pool, which looks fantastic but I will have to ask my wife the name.

If at Polamina, that is more a backpacker place.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
12 345 posts
21 reviews
51 helpful votes
4. Re: Santa Marta or Palomino?
Save

If you are going to go all the way to Tayrona then 2 nights makes more sense. I believe you asked about luxury hotels earlier so Ecohabs would be your only option in the park. Most lodging in the park is camping (tents and hammocks). But contact Ecohabs and ask them if they are open in January. The park is open for day trips in January but apparently no overnight stays will be allowed in December and January. Something to do with "the termination of the contract of the current concession."

Glendale, California
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
11 helpful votes
5. Re: Santa Marta or Palomino?
Save

So if I’m doing a one night stay, should I stay in santa Marta and see tayrona in a day? Or stay by Tayrona?

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
12 345 posts
21 reviews
51 helpful votes
6. Re: Santa Marta or Palomino?
Save

If not possible to stay in Tayrona I would stay close to Tayrona.

7. Re: Santa Marta or Palomino?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2020, 07:41
Get answers to your questions about Santa Marta
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.