We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tayrona Park

Highland Park...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
Tayrona Park
Save

We will be staying right outside the park with no car. Is there easy public transfer or taxi hire from our hotel into the park and to the hiking spots we are interested in---9 Stones trail and Peublito.

I recently read online that the Peublito hike in the park is closed. Is this true?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 261 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Tayrona Park
Save

Tayrona is not really a hiking destination. Its just a 40 minute walk from the car park to the beach and another walk along the beach to other beaches. In today's day of conveniences people may refer to this as a hike but it isn't really. The pueblito trek is indeed closed, I did this back in 2008 and this was more of a hike.

You'll get more of a hike experience at the other entrance in Neguanje. There's a decent hike upto the 7 olas lookout point from there. Otherwise Minca is better for hiking especially the Cerro Kennedy hike.

Highland Park...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Tayrona Park
Save

Thank you for this information, much appreciated. Unfortunate about the closed Peublito hike; we were looking forward to respectfully observing the indigenous community the hike allowed. Is there any other way--either in the park or closeby in the area---we would have this opportunity? The hike seemed by special for this reason.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Tayrona Park
Save

Not sure if this information is too late for your trip! I was in Tayrona December 12-13 2019 with a friend, we stayed overnight. We hiked from the Calabazo entrance, then camped overnight, and then hiked out using the El Zaino entrance. Although the town of Pueblito was closed, the hike the goes around it is pretty good. The first hour is on dirt road which is not great, but after it's really nice and we barely saw anyone else on the trail. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to do the 9 stones trail.

I think to do this all in one day would be challenging, so it would be nice to stay in the park overnight, which I recommend anyways so you can be there without the crowds.

I would recommend downloading maps.me for this, since the trail on the Calabazo side is not always clear.

We stayed at a hostel outside the park (where we could leave our stuff in storage). The bus to the park is very easy, it cost 2 mil COP to get to the park entrance, you just stand on the side of the road, flag down the bus as it's coming, say which entrance you're going to and they drop you off right there.

We went first to El Zaino to book our camp site, and then took another bus to Calabazo to start our hike.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
12 345 posts
21 reviews
51 helpful votes
4. Re: Tayrona Park
Save

Sounds like you had a great hike. We did the same as you did. It is good to hear that although Pueblito is now off-limits that hike from Calabazo to El Zaino is still possible. Yes, too bad about the 9 piedras trail. We had more time. We stayed in the park for 3 nights.

Highland Park...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Tayrona Park
Save

This is very helpful, and no...we have not left yet! We are staying just outside the park, by the El Zaino entrance. If we got the bus to Calabazo, could we do a day hike loop around the town of Peublito, ending back at the Calabazo entrance? Does that make sense? We don't want camp overnight.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
12 345 posts
21 reviews
51 helpful votes
6. Re: Tayrona Park
Save

I know you have not yet been. I was replying to Michelle. You could hike from Calabazo to Playa Brava and back. That would make more sense than hiking around Pueblito since Pueblito is off-limits. It would be lots of hiking though. It took us 3 hours or so to Playa Brava (beautiful beach but no swimming). You could have lunch there and hike back. We saw quite a few monkeys.

Highland Park...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Tayrona Park
Save

Thanks so much for this! So—if we are staying near the El Zaino entrance, are there any nice day hikes leaving from there? I mis-understood Michelle from Ottawa; I thought hiking around the Peublito could give us a sense of the Peublito without actually going there—-but I was mistaken, right? So I guess I”m giving up on that. Any decent day hikes from El Zaino?

Thank you for your interest!

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
12 345 posts
21 reviews
51 helpful votes
8. Re: Tayrona Park
Save

Well, I am not Michelle but I think she meant they could not actually see or visit Pueblito. The whole reason for it being closed is that the indigenous people want privacy.

From El Zaino there is transport to Canaveral. Then you can hike to Arrecifes, La Piscina (nice beach for swimming) and Cabo San Juan. Also hike the 9 Piedras trail near Canaveral.

9. Re: Tayrona Park

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2020, 07:30
10. Re: Tayrona Park

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2021, 06:41
Get answers to your questions about Santa Marta
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.