We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After Kasane?

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
16 helpful votes
After Kasane?

We are celebrating our son and his girl friend's medical school graduation with a trip to Africa in late May 2023. We start by visiting our other son in Johannesburg and then spending four nights in a lodge in Sabi Sands (Kruger). Then four of us will be flying to Kasane for four nights for game drives, boat trips, Victoria Falls and a village visit. The other two will be leaving at that point and my husband and I will then have another 4 weeks - ending in Cape Town for our flight home.

I had always thought that I would use a travel agent to plan our first trip to the continent but due to trying to wrangle the schedules of six people and going from 6 to 4 and then 2, I just started planning it myself.

I am looking for ideas for other places to visit in Botswana or neighboring countries for my husband and I after the kids leave. We would like to see more animals and are open to other experiences. We are a couple in our 70s. Thanks for any suggestions!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 023 posts
28 reviews
51 helpful votes
1. Re: After Kasane?

It would be a pity not to see the Okavango Delta, ideally a fly in,water based camp to do water activities and experience something quite different as an alternative to Sabi Sands.A couple of nights minimum,gives you an idea of its wetland waterways,small islands,diverse vegetation,incredible bird life and rare antelopes like Sitatunga and Lechwe.

Seeing as you have 4 weeks,even allowing for a few days in Cape Town and surrounds,you could include Namibia which is quite unique and vastly different to SA and Botswana. Etosha (wildlife) and Sossuvlei (dunes) and Damaraland (amazing scenery and San rock art) are major attractions worth including.There are direct flights from Windhoek to CT.

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: After Kasane?

Thank you! You have given me some great ideas to research!

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
874 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: After Kasane?

Hi Dianne

There is actually rather a lot to see in Botswana after Kasane... certainly with 4 nights in Kasane you can day trip to Vic Falls over the border quite easily... or you could get transferred to Vic Falls after your 4 nights... and then continue to Hwange and Mana Pools etc.

The wildlife in Botswana is the draw card of southern Africa, so if you are already here then from Kasane you can then fly to any lodge in Northern Botswana ending in Maun for a flight to Johannesburg or indeed a direct flight to Cape Town etc.

May is a very good time to be here as the Okavango Delta floods will be coming in nicely and late May will not be far off their peak so that's a very good time.

Almost typically, a north to south route would take you via Linyanti... its here we get the biggest concentrations of buffalo and Elephant... usually the domain of 5 star lodges, there are two of the best 4 star lodges called Lebala and Lagoon, owned by Kwando.

Kwando has one of the best circuits we have in Botswana, meaning they own lodges in critically perfect areas for wildlife, huge concessions and mostly private for full off-roading and night drives etc... they also offer discounts for long stays...

From Linyanti you could then look to 5 camps they operate all over the Okavango Delta, 3 of these have access to permanent Okavango water for full game drives and boating and mokoro trips... these are Splash and Kwara to the north of the Okavango, and then Pom Pom to the south... sublime wildlife areas.

The other two are Mma Dinare and Rra Dinare... near the Gomoti area on the Chitabe Belt... again very good for wildlife and private.... generally just game drives here.

With 4 weeks to play with you, you have plenty of time and could also consider two differing regions to the south and in the central Botswana regions... Firstly Nxai Pan Lodge in Nxai pan National Park for the salt pans... and also Tau Pan Lodge in the Central Kalahari.... very diverse to the northern regions and Sabi etc.

There is also the Desert & Delta group of lodges who also offer a fantastic array of camps in very diverse regions here.

So plenty to see and to be honest it would be easier to book just one room for two people rather than a mix.

Getting to and from Windhoek from anywhere can sometimes be a pain in one day... but with time on your hands it could be a simple option of an overnight in Johannesburg which is our gateway here... or as Stargaize points out, possible flights from Cape Town.

I guess the pint is that if you are already in Botswana, then Kasane area is just the tip of the iceberg.

Roger

Owner of Safari Lifestyles

Local Operator

Edited: 1 year ago
Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
4 459 posts
135 reviews
119 helpful votes
4. Re: After Kasane?

From Kasane, Chobe NP is of course right on your doorstep - either for self-drive or a mobile safari. There is the waterfront part of the park very close, and you can go via Moremi all the way to Maun, from where you can fly into the Okavango Delta and back. After that, as mentioned above, you could cut across into Namibia and make your way down to Cape Town, or perhaps go direct to SA via CKGR and Kgalagadi . Will you be self-driving? Camping and/or lodges?

Palapye, Botswana
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: After Kasane?

You are fortunate to have 4 weeks to spend while in this part of the world and there is indeed much to see in the north and a little further south in terms of wildlife but there are also beautiful landscapes, history and cultural opportunities further south in Botswana if you care to drive through to Capetown. And a little depends on your budget and the type of holiday you like to have

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
16 helpful votes
6. Re: After Kasane?

Thank you! Lots more to research!

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
16 helpful votes
7. Re: After Kasane?

We had not thought about self- driving. We spent three months driving through France last spring and were very comfortable. Self- driving sounds like an intriguing way to go. I will talk to our son who lives in South Africa to see what he thinks! Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
337 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: After Kasane?

Oh my very goodness!! What would I do with 4 weeks in Botswana?? I would have one glorious safari. And then add on in either Zimbabwe, or Zambia. Not sure my pocketbook would be as willing. As others have stated......the wildlife is unmatched. And it would be not right, to leave Bots, without seeing the Okavango Delta. It is ridiculously beautiful. Natural. Wild. And found nowhere else.

Roger has mentioned some main areas. The Kalahari, Linyanti, will all give contrast to the Delta.

Whatever you choose to do......enjoy. And let us know what you decide.

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
4 459 posts
135 reviews
119 helpful votes
9. Re: After Kasane?

Re: "We had not thought about self- driving"

Southern Africa in general is very self-drive-friendly and it is very common. But it is not the same as France (or USA)! In Botswana National Parks you will need a 4x4 and some experience in driving in sand. However, a normal car is suitable in South Africa (apart from Kgalagadi) and Namibia (though lots of gravel roads here). Of course driving is on the left, and manuals are more common than autos. But for many of us self-drive is the way to go 😀

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
16 helpful votes
10. Re: After Kasane?

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I have lots to research now. I'm no so sure about driving on the left these days. We have done it in the UK but its been a few years - and we are a bit older now! Definitely something to consider though.

Get answers to your questions about Kasane
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.