We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help please

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
2 214 posts
117 reviews
106 helpful votes
Itinerary help please

Hi. I wondered if you could help me decide please? We are looking to have a 2 week holiday in January or February 2023. We have a deposit on the Chobe Princess 2 night river cruise carried over from covid which we have to use or lose by April 2023. We want to do this along with Victoria Falls and would also like a land based safari lodge experience for 2 or 3 nights also. We want the quintessential lodge experience and we would like to have a good chance of seeing the big 5. Having a waterhole there to view from the lodge would be wonderful. We can do a maximum of £1000 per night for the perfect place but would prefer it to be half of this if we can get what we want for that. I don’t know where to look at. There are so many options and I’m going round in circles. Do we do Botswana, Kruger, Kasane?

I also need to use flights up with British Airways so can fly into Joburg or Cape Town. If we could afford to, we also fancy Rovos rail but are open to your thoughts. We couldn’t stretch to the top of our budget safari lodge and this together though, so would be guided by your experiences.

We are not big on living out of a suitcase, so we would prefer to stay longer in fewer places than move every couple of days. It would be nice to have time to enjoy it rather than rush from one place to another. We’re not that bothered about Cape Town as could do that along with Eastern Cape and the garden route at another time.

I’m happy to go through a travel agency or book direct dependant on where I can get the best deal. Although obviously the Chobe cruise is booked and I already have the long haul flights sorted. Any recommendations?

Thank you everyone for any help/guidance you can give us.

6 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Uganda, Kenya
Level Contributor
3 623 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Itinerary help please

I would say that the obvious option to combine everything that you want is to fly into Johannesburg, do a night there/in Pretoria, then take Roovos up to Victoria Falls. Spend a night or two here, then I would either do:

a) safari in Hwange then the Chobe Princesses or

b) Chobe Princesses and safari somewhere in Botswana.

A third option would be to fly from Jo'burg into Kasane, do the Chobe Princess and safari in Botswana, then fly out from Maun to Cape Town and take Rovos back from Cape Town to Jo'burg to finish your trip. This routing would also work the opposite way around.

I think if you don't want lots of extra travelling, adding Kruger into the mix isn't going to gain you much.

For Botswana safari options Chobe is obviously right there and would minimise your travel time and cost, or you could go on to one of the drier areas of the delta as an alternative. As January/February is low season it is a good time of year to get some well priced deals on the nicer camps.

Alexandra- Extraordinary Africa

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
2 214 posts
117 reviews
106 helpful votes
2. Re: Itinerary help please

Thank you very much Alexandra. That gives me some great advice in how to make an itinerary work. Where would you recommend in Hwange please?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Uganda, Kenya
Level Contributor
3 623 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Itinerary help please

Hmm, this is tricky. So if you do the Jo'burg to Vic Falls route you actually pass Hwange and I think do a short game drive from the main gate (I haven't booked that route on Rovoos since before covid, but that's normally how it works). I think if I were aiming for Hwange I'd take advantage of some of the crazy green season specials- Somalisa has some lovely ones. Generally as there's more water around the ellies tend to disperse quite a bit at this time of year (so not big herds like you might get when it's really dry), but also I've heard guides talking about seeing more cheetah and wild dogs when it's green (not sure how much of this is factual rather than anecdote, but I was tempted!)

Alexandra- Extraordinary Africa

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
2 214 posts
117 reviews
106 helpful votes
4. Re: Itinerary help please

Thank you so much. That helps.

Somalisa looks wonderful.

5. Re: Itinerary help please

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

6. Re: Itinerary help please

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

Reply to: Itinerary help please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kasane
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.