We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kasane to Vic Falls by boat?

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
3 posts
125 reviews
33 helpful votes
Kasane to Vic Falls by boat?

I’d like to know if it’s possible to go all or part of the way from Kasane to Victoria Falls by small, private boat? Any details—time? Cost? Logistics?

It seems a more attractive way to transfer.

I’m also interested in any one day or overnight trips from Kasane to someplace cool in Namibia.

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 185 posts
42 reviews
53 helpful votes
1. Re: Kasane to Vic Falls by boat?

I would assume there are restrictions on boats entering Zimbabwean waters from Botswana due to immigration controls. Kazungula border post is the closest entry point. If you hire a private boat from Kasane they may take you to only where they are allowed, as borders of 4 countries meet at 1 point in the middle of the Zambezi river. Our private Zambezi river cruise from near Kazungula on the Zim side heading towards Chobe stopped at a certain point before the confluence of the Chobe and Zambezi rivers then turned back.

From Kasane a short boat trip across the river is Impalila island in Namibia. Island day trips can be arranged through some local Kasane based TO's such as Flame of Africa who offer cultural village tours there. Some local lodges/guest houses probably can arrange it for you. There are a number of up market lodges on the island offering a range of activities. Also Serondela lodge located on a seasonal island opposite the Serondela area of Chobe NP on Namibian side.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
6 484 posts
15 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Kasane to Vic Falls by boat?

As well as the border logistics there is also the issue of National Parks on either side of the river which might have their own restrictions and/or fees and there is a set of rapids. I get the impression the rapids aren't navigable in any craft in low water - I have read that canoe trips portage - but I don't know if motor boats could pass in high water. There is a border control at Kasane for boats arriving by river from Katima Mulilo (a 2 day trip by houseboat for example).

3. Re: Kasane to Vic Falls by boat?

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 185 posts
42 reviews
53 helpful votes
4. Re: Kasane to Vic Falls by boat?

Rapids are not an issue, nor tides. etc. The border controls will be enforced by both countries.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1 986 posts
12 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Kasane to Vic Falls by boat?

Of course, rapids and shallows on the Zambezi between Kasane and Victoria falls are very much of an issue. If they were not, there would be many offerings of boat excursions between the two. But obviously, none of such excursions are available. Only small, powerful speedboats would be able to safely pass those obstacles, however, obviously, such public/tourist trips are not allowed. Probably with a good reason.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 185 posts
42 reviews
53 helpful votes
6. Re: Kasane to Vic Falls by boat?

The OP has asked about going part of the way to VF.

7. Re: Kasane to Vic Falls by boat?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Kasane
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.