We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips question (logistically/time issues)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
18 reviews
47 helpful votes
Day trips question (logistically/time issues)
Save

Hi all,

I’ve visiting Croatia for 7 days next month. We are starting with 3 nights in Split, 1 night in Hvar and 3 nights in Dubrovnik.

I’m having conflicting ideas regarding day trips. Myself and my family enjoy scenery/harbours/sightseeing towns so I’ve been trying to see if I could fit in a day trip somewhere.

I was wondering what trips people may recommend from Split or similarly from Dubrovnik? Is 3 nights too much time to kill in Split (hence I was thinking about day trips)

So far I’ve decided Trogir from Split and Cavtat from Dubrovnik-would these be suitable given my interests?

I realise there are so many possibilities but I think Mostar/Kotor would be too far given our time in each place and also Elaphiti islands are more for beach/swimming which does not suit my groups interests.

Are there any other places people suggest please? I’m conscious of having a balance of relaxing and sightseeing too but it’s proving problematic in my head!

I would appreciate any advice/tips :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
21 798 posts
1. Re: Day trips question (logistically/time issues)
Save

Krka NP from Split in addition to Trogir and Peljesac Peninsula from Dubrovnik in addition to Cavtat.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
18 reviews
47 helpful votes
2. Re: Day trips question (logistically/time issues)
Save

Thanks. Is Korcula too ambitious for a day trip from either Split or Dubrovnik?

I’m not sure if the peninsula and Krka are more walking/hiking orientated by the quick look I’ve had on google. We like picturesque towns and things but a lot of them seem to far to go; korcula, kotor, Mostar etc.

S S
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
5 618 posts
18 reviews
20 helpful votes
3. Re: Day trips question (logistically/time issues)
Save

Krka is a beautiful National Park with waterfalls and lakes. The town of Skradin where you catch the boat from is an adorable little town worth an hour or two/meal.

If you are not keen on nature and prefer towns, then I would hire a car from Split and drive the highway to Sibenik and explore Old Town for a couple of hours. Then take the coastal route back stopping in the lovely picturesque town of Primosten (walk up to the top by the church/cemetery for beautiful views)

Alternatively you could rent a car in Split and head south visiting the former Pirates town of Omis and then continue on to gorgeous Makarska. There are nice little towns scattered all along the Rivieria that you could visit such as Brela and Baska Voda or a little further past Makarska, Tucepi. The beaches along the Makarksa Riviera are so beautiful and Biokovo Mountain range creates a stunning backdrop.

While this would be a wonderful day out with some breathtaking scenery, with the amount of time you have and wanting to visit towns, my first choice would be Sibenik/Primosten but thought I'd throw another option out there for you.

Korcula could be done as a day trip from Dubrovnik but will be a long day with a good amount of time spent driving. If you enjoy that then its doable.

Same with Mostar...if you are up for a long day its a wonderful place to visit from either Split or Dubrovnik.

You are sure to enjoy Trogir & Cavtat they both ooze with charm :)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
18 reviews
47 helpful votes
4. Re: Day trips question (logistically/time issues)
Save

Thanks for your input S S. The hiring of a car will be an issue I imagine (I don’t drive) and the group I am with enjoy a few glasses of wine whilst on holiday!

Would you say it would be possible to do Trogir and Sibenik in one day? By bus perhaps? Both look like lovely places to visit but I’m conscious it could be too much!

S S
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
5 618 posts
18 reviews
20 helpful votes
5. Re: Day trips question (logistically/time issues)
Save

Oh yes, if indulging in wine then bus or organized excursion is the way to go Ha!

If using the bus, I would try to get an early'ish start and head to Sibenik. Spend a few hours then take the bus to Primosten for a couple of hours before returning to Split. They are both fabulous towns that I think you would really enjoy. Check buscroatia.com for schedules and routes.

I would use the Bura line boat to visit Trogir for a few hours from Split on another day.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
18 reviews
47 helpful votes
6. Re: Day trips question (logistically/time issues)
Save

Thank you very much S S. Do you know where I could find the bus information for Sibenik and Primosten please? Would it be doable to get to Sibenik, down to Primosten and back to Split in one day by Split?

Many thanks

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
9 reviews
15 helpful votes
7. Re: Day trips question (logistically/time issues)
Save

Would you recommend staying in the Riveria area for a week? If so, what town would you focus on for rental? Hubby is suggesting Markarska. Enough to do and see, dining, beaches, etc? We will have a car to explore also.

Thanks so much!

Following this post :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
21 798 posts
8. Re: Day trips question (logistically/time issues)
Save

Here si the bus timetable.

https://www.buscroatia.com/split-primosten/

LiFa, you need to start your own thread rather than hijack this one.

9. Re: Day trips question (logistically/time issues)

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2020, 07:41
Get answers to your questions about Split
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.