We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental for El Salvador

Austin
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
27 helpful votes
car rental for El Salvador
Save

We are debating between renting a car or hiring a driver when we visit. I read that the main highways are great. How about some secondary roads? Would we be better served to rent a vehicle with higher clearance? We do not plan on driving in San Salvador itself but want to use a car to have more freedom to travel around the country.

Thanks in advance.

42 replies to this topic
Schaumburg,IL
Level Contributor
198 posts
6 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: car rental for El Salvador
Save

It depends on how long you will be staying in El Salvador and on your budget. Renting a car will be cheaper than hiring a driver. The highway system is good, and the roads are well marked with signs everywhere.

The secondary roads are in general in good shape. Are you planning on doing any off road driving ?

Thanks in advance.

Austin
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
27 helpful votes
2. Re: car rental for El Salvador
Save

We're going to be there for 11 days. We are pretty adventurous, so will want to get to the good spots. Think we might want a vehicle with a little higher clearance? Do you have any experience with the local rental companies? I read where they are around $20/day as opposed to $45.

Many Thanks

Schaumburg,IL
Level Contributor
198 posts
6 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: car rental for El Salvador
Save

If you're planning on doing off road you might need a midsize SUV. But you can even get to the hidden spots with a small sedan. Most roads are in good shape and paved, you don't need a vehicle with a higher clearance to get there. I do have experience with the local rental companies, but beware some of them have the "fine print" and can charge you a lot for each small scratch. I've been renting cars on my travels to El Salvador for the past two years and I've been overcharged by big names companies : Budget, Enterprise and Alamo. To be honest if you're renting from a local rental company the lowest prices for one day is $30-$35 as opposed to $48-$55 for the same type of car.

If you're renting for more than 7 days the price will be lower.

If you want I can recommend you a reliable local rental car company .

Edited: 5 years ago
Austin
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
27 helpful votes
4. Re: car rental for El Salvador
Save

Your insight is very informative. I would like to know the local rental company that you have had good experiences with.

many thanks

Schaumburg,IL
Level Contributor
198 posts
6 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: car rental for El Salvador
Save

Just sent you a message on your TripAdvisor inbox.

Let me know if I can help you out with any other info.

Edited: 5 years ago
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
6. Re: car rental for El Salvador
Save

what local rental car company do you recommend

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
7. Re: car rental for El Salvador
Save

hello, i noticed your exchange with another user, would you be able to recommend a reliable car rental company, we are heading down to el salvador on the 28 for about 10 days

Schaumburg,IL
Level Contributor
198 posts
6 reviews
8 helpful votes
8. Re: car rental for El Salvador
Save

d0gbark I will send you a message.

Peterborough, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
9. Re: car rental for El Salvador
Save

I'd appreciate any recommendations too please - reliable companies? Also is it OK to rent at the airport or better in the city?

Schaumburg,IL
Level Contributor
198 posts
6 reviews
8 helpful votes
10. Re: car rental for El Salvador
Save

I've been renting cars on my travels to El Salvador for the past two years and I've been overcharged by the big names companies : Budget, Enterprise and Alamo. To be honest, if you're renting from a local rental company the lowest prices for one day is $30-$35 as opposed to $48-$55 for the same type of car from Budget, Enterprise and Alamo. You can have your car delivered at the airport. It depends were you'll be travelling to. I am recommending Azul SV rental Car.

Reply to: car rental for El Salvador
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about El Salvador
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.