We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unfair Question about safety, But, It had to be asked?

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Unfair Question about safety, But, It had to be asked?

Hello Forum,

Since the MH17 tragic accident, Things have changed. All the reputed/known airlines have stopped completely flying over Ukraine (West, North, South, and definitely the East).

I have asked ALL these reputed/known airlines, and they all confirmed that they have excluded the Ukrainian's airspace fully from their route. To double check, I have been following flightradar24 for the past 3 days almost play-by-play to check the identity of the airplanes, and sure enough none of them belongs to AirFrance, SAS, BritishAirways, Lufthansa,FinnAir, Swissair, Norwegian, Alitalia Austrian Airlines, or any others.... You name it...

That doesn't make me comfortable, As a matter of fact, It scares me A LOT that these airlines are no longer flying over Ukraine AT ALL !

All I have seen flying over Ukraine are a few low-cost local or Lithuanian/Estonian/Russian airlines, and the Greek airline: Aegean Airlines !

Some reports confirm that too: …greekreporter.com/2014/…

I know that it might be unfair for Ukraine and Kiev to be in such a situation, and I truly hope things will get better.

Why I am posting this here? I am planning a trip and Aegean Airlines offers me a good price, and the direction is most likely flying over Ukraine. Thus, The fact that all known airlines are no longer flying over Ukraine AT ALL makes me unease.

Should I travel or not?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
251 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unfair Question about safety, But, It had to be asked?

Any flight route that doesn't traverse the airspace above Eastern Ukraine along the border with Russia should be perfectly fine.

Central & Western Ukraine are perfectly ok to visit, as the Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau did last week - let alone fly across.

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Unfair Question about safety, But, It had to be asked?

Can you provide your post with facts, Please!

Show me any respectable/reputed/known airline that still flies over any part of Ukraine? The answer is simple: None !

Don't take my words for it, The truth is on: (https://www.flightradar24.com/56.05,29.62/5), There is NO respectable/reputed/known airline flies over any part of Ukraine whatsoever !

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
251 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unfair Question about safety, But, It had to be asked?

Whatever floats your boat then :) Have a nice trip.

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Unfair Question about safety, But, It had to be asked?

Also, Don't pretend to be a smart when you are not... Do you compare us civilians travelling with cheap commercial airlines to the PM of Canada who goes there to check on his troop?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
251 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unfair Question about safety, But, It had to be asked?

I looked at the flightradar map you've provided and literally the first flight I see is Lufthansa's LH2544 scheduled to land in Kyiv from Munich. My dear, are you sure you are not blind?

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
3 202 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unfair Question about safety, But, It had to be asked?

What about trying to come back to reality.

For instance Air France, Austrian Airlines, British Airways, El Al, KLM, Lufthansa are flying to Kyiv (KBP) alone - hardly feasible without flying through Ukrainian airspace.

And when Trudeau is visiting Ukraine, its because of the special relations between Canada and Ukraine - Canada has more than a million citizens with Ukrainian roots. Not for inspecting Canadian troops in Ukraine as there are none (or at best a few security guards at the Canadian embassy in Kyiv).

Kyiv, Kyyivs'ka...
Level Contributor
1 317 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unfair Question about safety, But, It had to be asked?

Some people are overstressed. If you are afraid, don't fly, if you like the price, fly.

Lviv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Unfair Question about safety, But, It had to be asked?

The simple truth is - in modern world - you cannot be safe nowhere, and nowhere you can hide yourself from its ("modern world") problems - and from your own responsibilities for it ("modern world").

Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Unfair Question about safety, But, It had to be asked?

Many major airlines fly to Kyiv and other Ukrainian cities, your fears are totally unfounded. Unless Russia invades the whole of Ukraine,the chances of any flight being shot down are extremely remote, other than over the war zone where no civillian aircraft fly.

Zürich, Zurich...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unfair Question about safety, But, It had to be asked?

I'm flying next week with Austrian airlines. Last time I checked, it was "reputable".

Get answers to your questions about Kiev