We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In the middle of my itinerary planning: Sibiu, Timisoara...

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
143 posts
215 reviews
141 helpful votes
In the middle of my itinerary planning: Sibiu, Timisoara...
Save

Many thanks to those who helped me on my beginning to plan thread! It was immensely helpful in figuring out my best choices.

In short, my geography class chose Hungary and Romania for my trip this year; I'll also be in Prague a few days. So I'll be coming out of Budapest into Maramures, and then on to Sibiu. This is in mid-July, if that makes a difference in any of the answers. So, to continue...

There's a bus(!) from Budapest to Sighetu-Marmatiei; I'll be spending Thursday night to Monday there in the Maramures in a pension in a small village. I have a guide and driver for that area, so pretty well taken care of. (It's my splurge, as Romania seems not terrifically easy of access in parts.) Monday I'll be getting an early bus to Baia-Mare and a connecting bus to Sibiu, arriving late Monday afternoon in Sibiu and staying until Thursday at a villa/pension.

1. I'd like to do the touristy thing and visit probably Bran and Brasov out of Sibiu; any tour operators you can recommend? I'm okay with a big ol' group tour in this instance, as it's pretty touristy in the first place. Cheap is good. I'm no good for group tours for protracted time, but I'm okay with a day.

2. I'm thinking my other day should just be Sibiu itself? Or...?

Thursday will be train or bus (best choice?) to TImisoara. Usually I wouldn't probably add this on, but it's the location from which I can get to Bigar Cascade, which is one of the things the kids most wanted me to see. And the trip there only goes out publicly on a Friday; Bigar isn't possible via public transportation, apparently. This trip also includes the Danube Gorge, so that should be a nice finish. It looks like I can fly out of Timisoara on Saturday (which is ideal) and get home via Munich. It's not that terribly far to Budapest airport (which has a direct flight home) but the logistics of that didn't seem to be working, as far as getting from TImisoara to Budapest for the 11:45AM flight out.

Thanks for any answers, help, smacks upside the head, or the like that you may wish to contribute after this long post! Part of it is just getting everything straight in my head. (Lotta buses, gotta say, but that's life when you don't drive and want to get to a lot of places.)

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
11 064 posts
1. Re: In the middle of my itinerary planning: Sibiu, Timisoara...
Save

1. If you want to visit the Brasov area it would be simpler to go straight there. There is a direct night train from Sighet to Brasov (departs at 17:30, arrives at 5:12) - which is perfectly fine, just that first class sleepers are relatively expensive ($112 single, $70 double, $38 bunks). You could leave on Sunday evening, but I'm afraid you've already booked that night.

If you decide to go to Sibiu, while you travel between Cluj and it on Monday stop for a few hours at the Turda salt mines or in Alba Iulia.

On Thursday morning take the 8:15 train to Deva, get on local bus to Hunedoara, visit Corvin castle, get back to Deva and finally take a bus (17:30, 18:15, 19:40 etc.) or train to (20:30) to Timisoara.

2. If you go to Brasov first, do Sibiu next (Brasov on Monday-Tuesday, Sibiu on Wednesday, Corvin castle on Thursday as described above).

Edited: 3 years ago
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
143 posts
215 reviews
141 helpful votes
2. Re: In the middle of my itinerary planning: Sibiu, Timisoara...
Save

Thank you so much!

I could leave on Sunday night on the overnight train to Brasov, as my accommodation is able to be changed, but I will be out traveling Maramures all of that day and am not sure if I would be back in time for a 17:30 train. If I did do that, is there a place that I could store my luggage in Brasov for the day from the time of that early morning arrival? Conversely, if I go straight to Sibiu on Monday and check into my pension, I assume that I could take an early morning local train to Brasov and a bus or similar on to Bran on my own on Tuesday or Wednesday?

I don't want to back-track too much, of course, but I also like having a "home base" when possible. For instance, I was left off of a bus in Druskininkai at 3AM with luggage and no place to go, and while that did have some pleasant aspects I'd rather be sure of where I'm going.

Thursday's plan for Corvin Castle looks great! I will also have the luggage part there, too; where would be the best place for me to store that while visiting the castle?

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
11 064 posts
3. Re: In the middle of my itinerary planning: Sibiu, Timisoara...
Save

After leaving Sighet the train passes through the north-western part of Maramures, stopping in various villages along the way; last stop in the area is at Sacel at 20.04. Depending on where you'll be touring on the last day, you could ask your guide to drop you off in one of these villages along the railway.

In Brasov you could leave your luggage at the accommodation you'll be staying at or the train station (think there still is a luggage office).

In Deva you can try to leave them at one of the hotels near the train station (like motel Maestro).

From Sibiu there are plenty of buses and several trains to Brasov throughout the day. From Brasov to Bran and back there are buses every hour.

But it really wouldn't make sense to go to Sibiu on Monday if you actually want to get to Brasov.

Just take a bus from Cluj to Brasov (Sighet - Cluj 4:30 - 9:27, visit a bit of Cluj, Cluj - Brasov 14:30 - 18:45)

Timetables for most bus routes are available on http://www.autogari.ro/?lang=en and for trains on https://www1.cfrcalatori.ro/en/

Edited: 3 years ago
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
143 posts
215 reviews
141 helpful votes
4. Re: In the middle of my itinerary planning: Sibiu, Timisoara...
Save

Thank you again for all of the information! I'm wishing I could have a longer time in Romania, but alas, my travel time is sadly limited. I appreciate you helping me make the most of the time that I have.

5. Re: In the middle of my itinerary planning: Sibiu, Timisoara...

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2019, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Romania
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.