We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with MP coordination

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
61 helpful votes
Help with MP coordination
Save

Our 4-person family is visiting MP in April. Children are ages 6 and 9. The adults want to hike Huayna Pichu, but know that the kids cannot do it.

We are staying in AC, so the plan was on our first day, we'd all get there and one adult would have the ticket that allows the Huayna Pichu hike and the other would take the kids back to the hotel. Then the next day, the other will wake up and go back to MP and do the hike.

My question for the first day. From what I'm reading about the circuits, would the Huayna Pichu ticket mean that we couldn't all do the main part of MP together? Our goal would be to spend 2-3 hours together and then split off (taking the last hike slot).

I've had trouble understanding the circuits online, so would appreciate anyone with experience offering a suggestion on how best to do this!

7 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 269 posts
33 reviews
32 helpful votes
1. Re: Help with MP coordination
Save

It will be a little complicated...

* Take a morning train to Aguas Calientes. Buy regular tickets for the whole family to visit MP in the afternoon. Night in Aguas Calientes.

* day 2: Buy 1 ticket with the Hike: One parent does the hike while the other parent stays with the kids in Aguas Calientes. Night in Aguas Calientes.

* day 3: Buy another ticket with the hike for the 2nd parent to do the hike., family can take the train back in the afternoon.

So for this, you spend 2 nights in Aguas Calientes (3rd night could be optional), You will need to buy 3 regular MP tickets (your youngest kid does not pay) & then 2 Tickets with the hikes on separate days.

Edited: 18 January 2022, 05:54
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 269 posts
33 reviews
32 helpful votes
2. Re: Help with MP coordination
Save

You can also try to see if you can find a hotel with child care. I believe InkaTerra does offer child care & you can check others...

you could visit MP as a family the first day & the next morning you can do the hike as a couple?

You still need to buy 3 regular tickets + 2 tickets with the hike

For this you only need 1 night in Aguas calientes, 2nd night would be optional.

Edited: 18 January 2022, 06:00
Durham, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
61 helpful votes
3. Re: Help with MP coordination
Save

Thank you for the response!

I don't see anything on the ticket website that says that my 6 year old won't need a ticket. I see this language which makes me wonder if kids over 3 now need tickets?

- Son menores todos los visitantes entre los 3 y 17 años.

From what you wrote, do you not think it is possible to do a day where the hike is done after the family visits MP? We are planning to stay two nights but were not going to go to MP the first day (arriving later in afternoon),

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 269 posts
33 reviews
32 helpful votes
4. Re: Help with MP coordination
Save

You are actually correct; they changed the rules and now only children Under 3 years are free.

You could do the following

* Day 1: late afternoon arrival in Aguas Calientes & overnight.

*Day 2: Family of 4 visits the main site with regular tickets (Llaqta de Machu Picchu), entry at 8am and 1 adult have tickets for Huayna Picchu entry between 10~11 am. You can visit most of the longest circuit together, this will take about 2 hours, up until you reach the check point Huyna Picchu for 1 adult to start the hike. The other adult and children can continue for the remaining of the circuit (Lower part) and exit Machu Picchu. You could take the bus down to Aguas calientes and wait for your partner to finish the hike (about 3 hours). There is an outdoor Café if you wish to wait there or the Belmond hotel has a restaurant /lunch buffet ($$$).

Day 3. The other adult does the hike in the morning, Family takes the train back in the afternoon.

For this, you will need 4 Regular Tickets + 2 Huayna Picchu tickets on different days/time

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
61 helpful votes
5. Re: Help with MP coordination
Save

Super helpful. Thank you! Booked our tickets. We decided to have one adult do 8am entry Wednesday and the other on Thursday. Then as a family we will do circuit 1 at 2 pm on Wednesday to be sure we get to experience most of Machu Picchu together.

Only concern now is that we bought the 8 am ticket but it says that we have to arrive at 7 am. We aren't morning people and were not expecting that to be an hour earlier ;-).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 269 posts
33 reviews
32 helpful votes
6. Re: Help with MP coordination
Save

You have 1 hour window to start the hike. Your tickets are probably entry between 7~8am or 8~9am.

Plan to take the bus up to Machu Picchu about 1 hr 15 minutes before your planned start time.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
115 posts
30 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: Help with MP coordination
Save

Hope you figured it out! For Huayana Picchu, there is only the lower circuit available for the way back. It's called Circuit 4.

https://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Circuitos-Nuevos_covid19-4-2021.pdf

I just did this last week.

As far as I can tell, because I wanted to see the top half of the Machu Picchu site, I had to buy 2 separate tickets. One for Huayana Picchu to do the hike, and then a second one for the Llaqta (city) Machu Picchu. Maybe there is a way to skirt around the guard but I would NOT count on it. The paths are all one-way and there are guards everywhere. I once tried to backtrack about 200 yards to see a stone wall and they would not let me.

I took my sweet time at the top of Huayana Picchu to enjoy the views so my entire route was start at the main entrance at 7:20 am and arrive at control gate 8:10 am. 3.5 hours (going up was probably 45 mins) and then I took my time looking at things on the lower half of circuit 4.

Then I recharged with food and water outside the gate, and then re-entered with my other ticket at 12:30 pm. and I stayed until 3:30 pm.

Please be mindful with young kids to bring sunscreen and prepared layers of clothes. The weather could change in an instant. The circuit again is only one-way.

I hope this helps!

Reply to: Help with MP coordination
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Machu Picchu
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.