We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montana Machu Picchu Hike Is Closed

Level Contributor
150 posts
Montana Machu Picchu Hike Is Closed
Save

We tried to do the Machu Picchu Mountain hike today and it’s closed “due to the new covid rules” starting this week.

Apparently the hike closed on Monday, but we were never notified in any way, and our tickets weren’t canceled.

The more popular and busy hikes at MP (like Wayna) are not closed, only this one. Huh? Why?

There was also no prior notification until we rolled up at the hike entrance, already well inside of MP.

It’s annoying because we were allowed to book tickets for this hike on the website, and yet they don’t want to refund the hiking tickets.

Anyone else in the same position?

13 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 197 posts
33 reviews
32 helpful votes
1. Re: Montana Machu Picchu Hike Is Closed
Save

Very strange that Huayna Picchu is still open. On the official site, they are still selling tickets for Huayna Picchu, but non for Machu Picchu Mountain Hike.

Did you go to the Ministry of Culture office in Aguas calientes to request a refund?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
115 posts
30 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: Montana Machu Picchu Hike Is Closed
Save

wow thanks for the info but sorry for your travel hiccup!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 197 posts
33 reviews
32 helpful votes
3. Re: Montana Machu Picchu Hike Is Closed
Save

I sent Ministerio de Cultura a message on Facebook yesterday. They just replied today confirming Montaña Machu Picchu is closed starting January 13 until further notice (Due to COVID infections increase)

Now there is a notice on the official site:

https://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
56 posts
4. Re: Montana Machu Picchu Hike Is Closed
Save

I called them yesterday and they told me the same thing. The lady I spoke with thought it may re-open in a few months.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
56 posts
5. Re: Montana Machu Picchu Hike Is Closed
Save

Also, why wouldn't they just decrease the number of tickets for sale say by 50% and leave it open? Doesn't make sense to me why would close Machu Picchu Mountain but leave Huayna Picchu open. Isn't the Huayna Picchu trail narrower than Machu Picchu Mountain?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
167 posts
11 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: Montana Machu Picchu Hike Is Closed
Save

Hello,

Before I read this correspondence I bought today in the morning 2 tickets on the official website for Montana.

After I read this information that Montana is closed I went again to the official website and I saw the statement in Spanish about closing Montana but If you try to buy the tickets to Montana for tomorrow the website sells offers, sells, and takes your credit card.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 197 posts
33 reviews
32 helpful votes
7. Re: Montana Machu Picchu Hike Is Closed
Save

@Alla,

You probably bought tickets for “Montaña Huchuypicchu” hike, which is different From “Montaña Machupicchu” hike, the one that was just closed last week.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
167 posts
11 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: Montana Machu Picchu Hike Is Closed
Save

Hello Pa010,

I am a little bit frustrated. Yesterday, January 17th when I bought the ticket I saw on the website 2 options for a hike: Circle 4 + Waynapicchu and Circle 4+Huchuypicchu Mountain. Two years ago when I first started to arrange my trip to Machu Picchu I was advised to take the Mountain hike. Yesterday I bought the tickets to Circle 4+ Huchuypicchy Mountain. I received the confirmation and electronic tickets. I checked only the date. After I read information about closing Montana I checked my ticket and saw that my ticket is for: Circle 4 + Huchuypicchu. So, I would like to double-check that my ticket is for a hike to the famous Huayna Picchu. Is this correct? Please advise. Thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 197 posts
33 reviews
32 helpful votes
9. Re: Montana Machu Picchu Hike Is Closed
Save

@Alla,

It looks like you bought the wrong tickets.

There are 3 different Mountain hikes...

1. WaynaPicchu (or Huayna Picchu)

2. Montaña Machu Picchu - ( Currently CLOSED)

3. HuchuyPicchu.

Huchuypicchu is a much smaller peak than Huaynapicchu (the more famous/popular hike). You can google it to find some pictures.

I don't think getting a refund is an option, but you can email them to see what they say or if you can change the ticket: callcenter@culturacusco.gob.pe

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 197 posts
33 reviews
32 helpful votes
10. Re: Montana Machu Picchu Hike Is Closed
Save

Just got a reply from Ministerio de Cultura...

There is no cancellation or refunds for Machu Picchu tickets.

You are only allowed to change dates or ticket holder information if there is availability on the same type of ticket you bought. There is a fee to make this type of change.

You are not allowed to change the type of ticket you bought either.

Reply to: Montana Machu Picchu Hike Is Closed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.