We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the double masks still required in MP?

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Is the double masks still required in MP?
Save

What about the public areas in Cusco and the hikes in Inca trail?

18 replies to this topic
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
622 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
1. Re: Is the double masks still required in MP?
Save

1 mask and shield are still required on the train and bus to MP. But outside in MP and Cusco, everyone just had one mask on. Did not see any double masking in either location.

Edited: 21 October 2021, 14:22
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Is the double masks still required in MP?
Save

We have to wear a surgical mask AND a face shield? Or is it just two masks?

United States
Level Contributor
14 posts
84 reviews
74 helpful votes
3. Re: Is the double masks still required in MP?
Save

Can I get away with not masking?

Stamford...
Level Contributor
240 posts
79 reviews
38 helpful votes
4. Re: Is the double masks still required in MP?
Save

you cant get away from Masking in Peru (atleast at Touristy towns). In buses and Trains, they wanted you to have Mask and Face Shield. They will keep on announcing to wear masks and shield as required.

I am impressed by how people in Peru obliged by wearing double masks and face shields all the time. i always had 1 mask on but on public transport as said above - mask and Face shield was must.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
622 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: Is the double masks still required in MP?
Save

In Peru -

On buses and trains (like the one to Machu Picchu) - 1 mask and 1 shield are required

In all other indoor locations (like airplanes, airports, hotels, etc) - 2 masks, no shields, are required

In outdoor locations 1 mask is required

No, you can’t get away with no mask in Machu Picchu. There are many park rangers enforcing mask wearing.

Edited: 01 November 2021, 16:42
Level Contributor
144 posts
6. Re: Is the double masks still required in MP?
Save

Do they sell face shields at the trains and buses, or do you have to bring your own from home?

Seems bulky to carry everywhere.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
622 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
7. Re: Is the double masks still required in MP?
Save

There are vendors outside the train station that sell face shields. There were also 4 people that made it on the train without them and one of the employees sold them face shields on the train. We bought ours ahead on Amazon and they come in a package that lies flat and then you assemble them when you need them. So they weren’t particularly bulky to pack.

Level Contributor
20 posts
8. Re: Is the double masks still required in MP?
Save

I normally wear FFP2 masks because surgical masks are too big for me. Is the point of this requirement that people wear any two masks or would one FFP2 mask suffice since it's more efficient? Can the two masks be non-surgical, such as custom made cloth masks?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
622 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
9. Re: Is the double masks still required in MP?
Save

There aren’t any requirements on the type of mask as far as we could tell. I wore two surgical masks. My travel partner work 1 surgical and 1 cloth. People also had 2 cloth on.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Is the double masks still required in MP?
Save

I'm still not clear on what "double masks" means. Does it mean that 1 mask and 1 face shield, two masks, or something else?

Reply to: Is the double masks still required in MP?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Machu Picchu
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.