We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covid-19 pandemic status in Lima and Cusco in 2021

1 post
Covid-19 pandemic status in Lima and Cusco in 2021
Save

Hello

I have made all necessary bookings for my coming trip to Peru in early June 2021. I am fully vaccinated and ready to roll. However, I would like to hear your insights about the country's latest pandemic situation, and appreciate any thoughts you have to share. I guess watching horrific scenes unfolding in India and Brazil, day after day, does upset one's mind. Thank you and be safe!

17 replies to this topic
Seoul, South Korea
1 post
1. Re: Covid-19 pandemic status in Lima and Cusco in 2021
Save

I'm in the same boat, have reservations for trip to Cusco/Machu Picchu in late June but concerned with the current surge in Covid there. Appreciate hearing any updated information on the current situation. Hope all are well and thanks for any help you can provide.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 049 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Covid-19 pandemic status in Lima and Cusco in 2021
Save

welcome,

i would say quit watching those things. If you want to psych yourself out, its your choice. But there are other things to watch if you want.

Maybe watch ET or something.

good luck

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Covid-19 pandemic status in Lima and Cusco in 2021
Save

As of May 10, Lima has dropped from "Extreme" to "Very High" alert. The most important part to this is that does not mandate a Sunday lockdown anymore.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
439 posts
349 reviews
188 helpful votes
4. Re: Covid-19 pandemic status in Lima and Cusco in 2021
Save

As noted, Lima is at "Very High Alert" but the Cuzco area is still at "Extreme Alert". Beaches are closed, and most places have restricted occupancy, Yes, many people skirt around the restrictions, but why would you want to? Peru is going through its worst spike in covid infections of the Pandemic and there are not enough hospital beds, oxygen, medicines, etc. Their vaccination program is very limited with priority still going to people over 80. No one can predict what is going to happen in Peru in the next month, or two, or three.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Covid-19 pandemic status in Lima and Cusco in 2021
Save

Panc J,

I'd like to know your thoughts. If a person is vaccinated and are very unlikely to transmit or get Covid, would they be welcome in Peru if they followed local covid protocols?

This is a strange time.. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Covid-19 pandemic status in Lima and Cusco in 2021
Save

Panc J,

I'd like to know your thoughts. If a person is vaccinated and are very unlikely to transmit or get Covid, would they be welcome in Peru if they followed local covid protocols?

This is a strange time.. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
439 posts
349 reviews
188 helpful votes
7. Re: Covid-19 pandemic status in Lima and Cusco in 2021
Save

I would say that if you are fully vaccinated and closely follow local restrictions and national regulations it is OK to visit Peru, realizing that tourist activities will be limited. That being said, Peru can be unpredictable and no one can say what a new administration will do regarding Covid when elected on June 6. Now is definitely not the best time to visit Peru, but you would be welcomed as people are pretty desperate for foreign cash.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
8. Re: Covid-19 pandemic status in Lima and Cusco in 2021
Save

Hi I am in Cusco right now and I am leaving today to go back to the States. Everything is open but on a limited scale because there are not a lot of tourists here because of the pandemic. I checked the stats for Peru before I came there are no new cases of Covid anywhere in the country. These people take COVID-19 very seriously you see them double mask or with face shields and they always make you wash your hands or they sanitize your hands for you.

Machu Picchu is very lively most of the people that are touring Machu Picchu are Latinos are very few Americans. But the Americans I’ve run across are extremely rude and makes me very embarrassed.

Yesterday which was Saturday I didn’t have enough time to buy souvenirs at Machu Picchu and when I got back into Cusco everything was pretty much closed they’re closing early because there isn’t much tourists here. on Sunday in Cusco everything is shut down and the people are supposed to hunker down in their homes.

Because there are hardly any tourists here you get a lot of individualized attention so don’t worry about catching Covid here and enjoy yourself.

Edited: 16 May 2021, 15:07
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 049 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
9. Re: Covid-19 pandemic status in Lima and Cusco in 2021
Save

"..But the Americans I’ve run across are extremely rude and makes me very embarrassed...."

you seen where the term "UGLY American" came from.

I noticed the same when i started to travel way back in 2012.

good luck

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
216 posts
57 reviews
14 helpful votes
10. Re: Covid-19 pandemic status in Lima and Cusco in 2021
Save

I was on an international trip recently (not Peru) and was embarrassed by my fellow Americans too. No wonder we have such a bad rep 🤦🏻‍♀️

Reply to: Covid-19 pandemic status in Lima and Cusco in 2021
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Machu Picchu
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.