We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer in 2020.

London, United...
Level Contributor
317 posts
158 reviews
227 helpful votes
First timer in 2020.
Save

Hi.

I will be a fit 50 something next year and instead of visiting Ko Mak/Hua Hin/Khoa LakHa Long Bay yet again, I thought it might be nice to try the Philippines for the first time in say February/March.

Whilst there are a number of similar questions on the board, many appear to want to cram loads into not a loot of time. I also have not a lot of time, two weeks or so, but am happy to settle for three places max, primarily beach side if possible.

Palawan appears to offer a one-stop Island hop solution for the first timer. Am I correct here or perhaps Bohol Island?

I love a beach bar and major on striking up a conversation with ease. I don''t want deserted, I want compromise between peace and banter. Too much to ask?

Budget around £50-80 GBP per day for accommodation, preferably a bungalow rather than a high rise.

Any help would be good.

Regards

Phil

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
16 067 posts
52 reviews
139 helpful votes
1. Re: First timer in 2020.
Save

Bohol is 76 islands and you will not see all of it in 2 weeks . Palawan is nearly 2000 islands and will take even longer to get around than Bohol

They are both going to have accommodation in your budget. And in bungalow style as well.

So it is up to you.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 363 posts
33 reviews
80 helpful votes
2. Re: First timer in 2020.
Save

I love a beach bar and major on striking up a conversation with ease. I don''t want deserted, I want compromise between peace and banter. Too much to ask?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Palawan and Bohol are major tourist spots especially in high season. Malapascua Island should have more of a balance in terms of what you're looking for. Also, the better beaches in Coron and El Nido in Palawan are mainly on the islands away from the main town.

Not many high rises in the beachy destinations either. They're mainly confined to the cities like Manila and Cebu. You'll find resorts with bungalows here and there but I don't think they're particularly common.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
31 196 posts
2 961 reviews
3 637 helpful votes
3. Re: First timer in 2020.
Save

<< I love a beach bar and major on striking up a conversation with ease. I don''t want deserted, I want compromise between peace and banter. Too much to ask? >>

Boracay would be my #1 choice for what you seek as it has one of the best beaches in the world and numerous bars. Can be crowded butin Station 1 or Station 3 can find less business. Alona Beach Bohol, Siargao and Malapascua are other options.

Unless you stay in Port Barton in Palawan, El Nido Town doesn't have a nice beach and Coron Town doesn't have a beach at all. Best beaches will be seen during island hopping. IMHO Palawan doesn't meet your brief unless you are happy to visit beaches during island hopping and sit in a bar at night. Coron is a very sleepy town and found the bars quite dead.El Nido is much more livelier

Edited: 2 years ago
Palawan Island...
Level Contributor
13 935 posts
979 reviews
324 helpful votes
4. Re: First timer in 2020.
Save

Port Barton, Palawan would be my recommendation as there is a safe, sandy beach, island hopping, snorkeling, hiking and 5 or 6 bars on the beach offering happy hour beers. The town is quite small, maybe considered as a big village but is developing fast, with new restaurants and accommodation opening up every year. There will be no problem finding accommodation at the budget you mention, but to secure a beach bungalow best to book in advance. February would be better time to visit as March can get quite hot.

To get to P Barton either fly to Puerto Princesa and 3 hour shuttle, or fly to El Nido should you wish to spend a couple of days there (or even San Vicente and take a boat from there (i believe the flights only leave from Clarke

London, United...
Level Contributor
317 posts
158 reviews
227 helpful votes
5. Re: First timer in 2020.
Save

Hi all.

Many thanks for the input, really helpful. It would appear the Palawan area offers lots of choice i.e, Port Barton/El Nido/Puerto Princesa/San Vincent & Coron.

There is much to look forward to I think.

Kind Regards

Phil

Palawan Island...
Level Contributor
13 935 posts
979 reviews
324 helpful votes
6. Re: First timer in 2020.
Save

Good choice London-phil. Come back for more detailed info if required

7. Re: First timer in 2020.

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2020, 06:41
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.