We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Permuteran and Menjangan Island: Price of Tour

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
Permuteran and Menjangan Island: Price of Tour
Save

Hello:

The cheapest tour I found to snorkel around Menjangan island is 900 000 roupies for 2 persons, so 90CAD for roughly 2 hours in the water.

I guess the price is decent but still too expensive for me.

What can I do?

It is not possible to find a local fisherman like in Thailand?

Please let me know

Cheers

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta Region, Indonesia
Level Contributor
14 997 posts
125 reviews
144 helpful votes
1. Re: Permuteran and Menjangan Island: Price of Tour
Save

Menjangan Island is part of the protected National Park so there are park fees to be paid. The boat trip is about 45 minutes from LabuanLalang but I think some dive shops go from a different pier. I always book directly through the Park guides and get a private boat. That way you direct which spots to go to and how long..I usually start about 8 or 9 on the boat..do snorkeling at 3 or so locations and lunch until about 1, then get back about 2. You can book that directly at the harbor (better to check in the day before) or contact guides when you know your schedule.

If you want to just snorkel off the beach at Pemuteran in front of Reef Seen that's free but not nearly a quarter as good as Menjangan itself. I have heard of the mangroves further west but haven't done those personally and don't know how good that area is.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta Region, Indonesia
Level Contributor
14 997 posts
125 reviews
144 helpful votes
2. Re: Permuteran and Menjangan Island: Price of Tour
Save

Oh, also the local fishermen are not licensed to go to Menjangan and you must take a licensed Park guide as well. If you do have the licensed guide they do all the arrangements for you (in my experience.)

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19 873 posts
91 reviews
63 helpful votes
3. Re: Permuteran and Menjangan Island: Price of Tour
Save

Hi jacob,

IDR900k for 2 people is extremely cheap. I can only assume it doesn't include the compulsory Marine Park fees.

Basically the going rate for snorkeling at Menjangan is IDR600k per person plus additional compulsory Marine Park fees of IDR200-300k per person (300k at weekends).

So IDR800-900k per person.

Personally speaking I think it is a waste of money. I dive every year in Bali (always Amed) and wife likes to snorkel. We were in Pemuteran 2 weeks ago and didn't bother to go snorkeling or diving at Menjangan (just dived in Pemuteran bay and snorkeling off Reef Seen/BioRock).

Pemuteran is nice for a bit of chillaxing and snorkeling but sometimes even snorkeling Biorock and the Reef in front of ReefSeen can be a waste.

When we were there because of the choppy seas the sand was churned up and it was like snorkeling in a milkshake. You could not see your hand in front of your face let alone the Biorock.

Reef was a bit better.

Everything is relative. Menjangan might have the best corals in Bali but gets 3 out of 10 when compairing them to Egypt/Red Sea or GBR

Bit like telling a Canadian that Garmisch is the best ski resort in Germany and worth the money (good job I can get to Austria in 40mins)

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
10 599 posts
51 reviews
81 helpful votes
4. Re: Permuteran and Menjangan Island: Price of Tour
Save

Hi Jacobparis, Rp 900,000 for 2 people to snorkel Menjangan is a really good price, especially if the fees are included in it. It would be a shame to come all that way to Bali and not snorkel Menjangan if that is what you want. Cut out something else so you can afford it.

As Mangomunky said, the local fisherman are not licensed to take visitors anywhere in the National Park.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Permuteran and Menjangan Island: Price of Tour
Save

thanks everyone, I will give it a shot :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
88 reviews
49 helpful votes
6. Re: Permuteran and Menjangan Island: Price of Tour
Save

I'd highly recommend you do Menjangan, it is head and shoulders above the bay for variety, visibility, and general enjoyment. We went with sea rovers and they are a great shop, it was 1.9M for 4 including 2 snorkel stops and lunch, fees were on top of that (200K/person).

We saw many boats on the way there and back going MUCH slower than the sea rover boat, just kinda putt putting along with snorkelers, so depending on how much time you want on the water, consider that. Even on the sea rover boat going around 45KMPH (we're canadian too) it is a good 35-40 min ride. Not something i'd want to do in a much smaller boat as well.

Have fun, its a fun spot.

7. Re: Permuteran and Menjangan Island: Price of Tour

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2019, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Bali
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.