We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya Safety / 2nd guessing Kenyan safari help!

Red Bank, New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kenya Safety / 2nd guessing Kenyan safari help!

Well, right as I've been about to confirm our honeymoon safari to Masai Mara, we've gotten a little skittish about safety and logistics, so I'm hoping you guys can either calm our nerves or steer us in proper direction.

1) We will probably need to spend a night in Nairobi before continuing on to Seychelles. How safe is it?

2) I've been reading more about threats in Kenya (primarily near border with Somalia), but how safe is Kenya right now? Either due to terror threat or recent elections? Will this impact a safari in Masai Mara much?

3) How safe are the flights/transfers from Wilson to Mara North? If we stay at Royal Mara, does anyone have info on the aircraft they use, or their pilots?

4) Would you recommend Royal Mara Lodge as a honeymoon destination? How about Masai Mara in general? Or should we be looking more in Tanzania, Botswana, or South Africa?

8 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4 504 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenya Safety / 2nd guessing Kenyan safari help!

You haven't said when you're traveling ?

Election period is not a good time to travel. Kenyan Election re-run is scheduled for 26th Oct.

Given the current election period in Kenya, perhaps a Tanzanian safari would be a prudent alternative.

The Serengeti (in TZ) shares the same ecosystem as Mara.

Seeing that it's your honeymoon, being a special, once in a lifetime occasion, do plan carefully.

Good Luck

Red Bank, New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenya Safety / 2nd guessing Kenyan safari help!

Apologies! Next July.

Edited: 11 October 2017, 22:09
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4 504 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenya Safety / 2nd guessing Kenyan safari help!

You still have alot of time.

If you're keen on the Mara ( Kenya ), stay in tune with the latest Kenya election updates from the media.

Good Luck

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
235 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenya Safety / 2nd guessing Kenyan safari help!

Next July is still far away. Mara has always been an amazing wilderness. Keep your eyes ears open on the latest info about the election.

N.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenya Safety / 2nd guessing Kenyan safari help!

On your other questions - Nairobi is a large and busy place. Safety is fine as long as you use common sense in the same way as you would in New York. Don't walk at night - use a taxi. Don't flash expensive belongings around in public etc. Hotels are very secure.

The planes to and from the Mara are usually one of two sorts. A single prop Cessna Caravan taking about 12 and a larger Dash twin prop. Which is used depends on how busy things are.

As far as I am aware the safety record is exceptionally good - the pilots know what they are doing and are in and out of tiny dirt strips all the time. I love these flights.

Royal Mara looks a lovely place, quite small and upmarket.

I have a trip to Kenya booked for next June and really have no realistic worries about the situation - I am pretty sure it will be the normal, wonderful, friendly and welcoming country it is.

I think Safari plus beech is a wonderful Honeymoon idea - hope it all goes really well for you. The Masai Mara is, in my opinion, the absolutely best place in Africa for a safari trip.

Red Bank, New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenya Safety / 2nd guessing Kenyan safari help!

Thanks to all, and Andrew, you really helped calm my nerves.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
583 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenya Safety / 2nd guessing Kenyan safari help!

I traveled last year as solo female in December to Kenya. I felt safe the whole time. I don’t like small planes and actually the plane ride to Mara was not bad at all. I also traveled in June last year with one other female and felt safe then as well. I always stuck with my driver and guide.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenya Safety / 2nd guessing Kenyan safari help!

I have been fortunate to have visited all over the wildlife areas of Africa for over 30 years.

In my view you are in for one of the greatest treats Africa has to offer with a flight in a small plane into the Masai Mara - next year I am taking my sister to Africa for her first trip (after years of trying!) and the choice of where to go was simple; the Mara.

You take off from Wilson Airport and rise over Nairobi National Park and cross the west of Nairobi. Urban life gives way to open country and then - whoosh - the land drops away as you reach the Rift Valley escarpment. Roads and visible signs of humans become fewer and fewer. You may land at other air strips before yours (is this Musiara for Royal Mara?), as you come in you will be pretty certain to see animals wandering around and then you will be met by a camp vehicle and guide and off you go - straight "on safari".

Have your cameras and stuff ready immediately - who knows what you will see within 5 minutes of landing.

Reply to: Kenya Safety / 2nd guessing Kenyan safari help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...