We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi International Airport arrivals security

4 posts
Nairobi International Airport arrivals security
Save

Hi hope everyone is OK.

I'm going to Nairobi soon for the first time and gonna be on a tight schedule. I've heard that passport control is slow and you have to wait for every checked bag off the plane is scanned.

Is this true and can does this cause a big delay to clearing customs?

Thank you in advance

8 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
99 reviews
78 helpful votes
1. Re: Nairobi International Airport arrivals security
Save

To some extent it depends on what other flights are coming into Nairobi at the same time. I have done three trips in the last year and did not have to wait long - Remember no carrier bags!!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
8 408 posts
46 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Nairobi International Airport arrivals security
Save

Just exactly how 'tight' is your schedule ?

It would help if you furnish us with more info.

What time are you landing ?

Are you a transit passenger or is someone gonna' pick you up from the airport ?

Manchester-by-the-Se...
Level Contributor
2 543 posts
199 reviews
266 helpful votes
3. Re: Nairobi International Airport arrivals security
Save

Passport control is no joke one of the worst experiences anywhere. I was among the first 20 off the plane last year and it still took nearly 90 minutes to get out at 10 pm at night. Officials were bringing people to the front of the line, bypassing all who had been waiting, more times than I could count. It takes 3-5 minutes for most people to be processed, but some people take SO much longer, it is mind boggling. My advice would be sit as close to the front of the plane as you can, and do not dally, run if you can, as soon as you get off the jetway. (This year I was in Business Class and really moved once the plane doors opened and managed to be first in line, it was like winning the lottery!)

I travel carry on only now, but the one time I checked a bag, it came out when it came out, like any other airport. But you’ll be killing a ton of time clearing passport control, so it’s not like you’ll be standing waiting for your luggage anyway.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1 247 posts
76 reviews
65 helpful votes
4. Re: Nairobi International Airport arrivals security
Save

It was very busy my last time there least two large flights arrived at similar times. The lines were slow and long.

My bag took a long time I think it was nearly one of the last off the flight as well. Bags were coming out by time I got down to baggage, was just unlucky how long mine took. I’ve had before came out right away so it’s entirely random like at any other airport I imagine.

I’ve even had bags tagged priority and still taken awhile. You may want to have a backup plan just in case depending on how tight your plan is.

4 posts
5. Re: Nairobi International Airport arrivals security
Save

Really appreciate the help everyone.

I asked as someone i know who moved to Kenya has offered me a free ride to Mombasa but they have a tight schedule and I don't want to delay them.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

6. Re: Nairobi International Airport arrivals security

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
8 408 posts
46 reviews
16 helpful votes
7. Re: Nairobi International Airport arrivals security
Save

@craig

In case you miss the free ride, take the SGR Madaraka Train to Mombasa ( MBA ) departing from Syokimau Train Station, a short taxi ride from JKIA.

If you have a quick look at the train schedule ( link below ), you will see there's a day & night train. The train takes 5-6 hours.

https://metickets.krc.co.ke/

Hope everything goes as planned.

Karibu :⁠-⁠) 🇰🇪

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
4 271 posts
33 reviews
21 helpful votes
8. Re: Nairobi International Airport arrivals security
Save

If you arrive early in the morning, or mid to late evening, there are a lot of flights arriving within a short space of time, causing bottlenecks at passport control and long queues for customs. The waiting time for bags to come out is as random as many other airports. Last time I flew it was with a cabin bag only and it saved lots of time and hassle.

An arrival at other times tends to be much quicker in my experience.

I would also say that anyone who lives in Kenya and is doing an airport pick up will understand the potential for delays and take them into account.

If your free ride is in the day time........fine, but if any part of it is at night, then I'd skip it and take the train, or fly there.

Edited: 03 March 2024, 07:45
Reply to: Nairobi International Airport arrivals security
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.