We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 hours in Nairobi - what should I do!?

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
10 hours in Nairobi - what should I do!?
Save

Hello travellers!

I'm in Nairobi for half a day, in between two flights. I arrive at midday into the airport, and then leave at about midnight, so realistically I have available 12pm to 10pm.

So tell me - what should I do!?

14 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
559 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: 10 hours in Nairobi - what should I do!?
Save

I'd organise a safari vehicle with a guide to pick you up from JKIA when you arrive, go for a game drive in Nairobi National Park in the afternoon. Grab dinner in Karen at Cultiva or Talisman or Carnivore, and then head back to the airport.

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
2. Re: 10 hours in Nairobi - what should I do!?
Save

SOLD!! Ahah thanks you! How best to sort a safari vehicle do you know?

Edited: 08 February 2024, 14:53
Mombasa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
2 236 posts
123 reviews
67 helpful votes
3. Re: 10 hours in Nairobi - what should I do!?
Save

http://www.katokenya.org

there are plenty Tour operators based in Nairobi listed, just write to a few and get their offers

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
8 409 posts
46 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: 10 hours in Nairobi - what should I do!?
Save

Hi Peter

It's recommended to book with a local TO as they are familiar with the trails inside NNP.

For more tips & comments, refer to recent post below:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294207-i9695-k14642478-National_Park_2_ppl_without_own_car-Nairobi.html

Karibu :⁠-⁠) 🇰🇪

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
8 409 posts
46 reviews
16 helpful votes
5. Re: 10 hours in Nairobi - what should I do!?
Save

Just remembered.

The restaurant at Four Points by Sheraton ( JKIA ) is highly recommended.

I've heard & read excellent reviews of the restaurant.

Since you have a plane to catch, I wouldn't venture too far out beyond the Langata area.

In fact, I'd head back to JKIA after the NNP.

Good Luck

Manchester-by-the-Se...
Level Contributor
2 543 posts
199 reviews
266 helpful votes
6. Re: 10 hours in Nairobi - what should I do!?
Save

You will want to be at the airport at least by 9 if not earlier. It’s not the most straightforward process to get through various security checks and endless lines. It is a tedious, drawn out process. I was there at 8:15 for a midnight flight and only had time to grab a bottle of water before heading to my gate for boarding to commence (and I had Sky Priority, so shorter lines than others). There are several flights going out between 11 and 12, so it can be a special form of madness.

The restaurant at Four Points is good, I would not go so far as to say excellent, but has a large menu with many different options for various diets. I have gotten a day room there to freshen up post-safari and have a relaxing dinner before taking their shuttle to the terminal.

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
7. Re: 10 hours in Nairobi - what should I do!?
Save

This is genius. Thank you everyone!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
8 409 posts
46 reviews
16 helpful votes
8. Re: 10 hours in Nairobi - what should I do!?
Save

Amy, thanks for the heads up. 🙂

If I stand to correction, for a small fee, Four Points by Sheraton provides a shuttle service to the Departure Terminal.

On that note, I think Peter is pretty much sorted.

Safari Njema 🇰🇪

Edited: 08 February 2024, 19:45
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1 089 posts
4 reviews
21 helpful votes
9. Re: 10 hours in Nairobi - what should I do!?
Save

also recommend preplanning for a hassle free transfer process and also visiting Nairobi national park, you can also include a visit to the Giraffe centre a centre that protect the critical endangered Rothschild giraffes, here you will learn alot about giraffes, in Langata area within Nairobi

Edited: 09 February 2024, 18:41
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1 089 posts
4 reviews
21 helpful votes
10. Re: 10 hours in Nairobi - what should I do!?
Save

Unfortunately most of the attractions sites in Nairobi closes at 5pm after 5pm you can visit Nairobi city and Maasai market for jewelry shopping before returning to the airport for your onward flight.

Reply to: 10 hours in Nairobi - what should I do!?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.