We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 adults safari, is it cheaper to hire a guide and 4 x4

West Midlands
Level Contributor
312 posts
32 reviews
58 helpful votes
6 adults safari, is it cheaper to hire a guide and 4 x4
Save

Help first timers, finding this safari a minefield. Is it cheaper to hire a 4 x4 with driver and pay as you go, or bite the Bullet and book the safari as a package , any advise on who to use , thanks in advance

13 replies to this topic
Newport, United...
Level Contributor
1 212 posts
182 reviews
72 helpful votes
1. Re: 6 adults safari, is it cheaper to hire a guide and 4 x4
Save

For your first time safari I would advise using a local tour operator to arrange everything for you, they have established relationships with camps and get discounted rates. I've left you a private message with more information.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
499 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: 6 adults safari, is it cheaper to hire a guide and 4 x4
Save

To organise and coordinate a safari takes an inornate amount of planning. I'd use a tour operator. Get an idea of what you want to do, and get quotes from several operators, and compare. There are usually discounts if you stay at the same chain of lodges/camps.

Also saves you the hassle of paying each camp individually (international transfers have bank charges), and arranging park entry fees.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
8 302 posts
46 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: 6 adults safari, is it cheaper to hire a guide and 4 x4
Save

Most tourists planning a safari holiday to Kenya opt for a complete, organised safari package booked thro' a local operator incl. airport collection, transfer, accommodation, meals, game drives....etc

It's cost effective, hassle free & convenient.

Just sit back & enjoy the sights & sounds of Magical Kenya.

Karibu

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: 6 adults safari, is it cheaper to hire a guide and 4 x4
Save

Hi,

Using a tour operator is convenient & allows you to relax and enjoy the safari while the tour operator handles all the logistics.

All the best!

Roselyne, Hyrax Safaris

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Uganda, Kenya
Level Contributor
3 465 posts
9 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: 6 adults safari, is it cheaper to hire a guide and 4 x4
Save

This is going to depend on the type of trip you want to do. 4x4 and paying as you go is the cheapest way to do things if you are self-driving and camping. This is quite adventurous but very fun and I have loved doing it.

If you're looking at a higher end trip with someone else driving and staying in permanent lodges and camps then a) the vehicle and guide will more than likely come from your tour op anyway, and b) most lodges and camps are small and remote and will require payment in advance to secure the rooms anyway, so using a tour op makes more sense and will take the hassle factor out of it.

Alexandra- Extraordinary Africa

London, United...
Level Contributor
175 posts
99 reviews
78 helpful votes
6. Re: 6 adults safari, is it cheaper to hire a guide and 4 x4
Save

Have just retuned f, rom a great safari in Kenya in a group of 9. I have done many safaris but would not have been able to curate this amazing trip on my own - you really need to discuss options, prices and best locations with an experienced person who will hear what you are looking for, make recommendations and secure the bookings at the best price.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
508 posts
36 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: 6 adults safari, is it cheaper to hire a guide and 4 x4
Save

Just consider using the local Tour operator as they have well informed guides and their relationships with lodges and Camps is great 👍🏼. 6 pax in the car is good number as the car capacity is 8 maximum. Local tour operator will advice you the best itinerary, cost and have the best rates on contract through the lodges/ Camps. With a good reliable tour operators then you are good to go. Most welcome to Kenya. "Hakuna Matata" Best from Tsavo Cats Tours and Safaris

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
39 posts
8. Re: 6 adults safari, is it cheaper to hire a guide and 4 x4
Save

I think the 4 * 4 jeep will have a driver from his or her on tour company which is the same as planning a safari with a tour operator. Some advantages of planning your trip with a tour company are

1. They are familiar with the locals so you are guaranteed best experience during your safari

2. Your safety is guaranteed

3. For any misconduct or scamming, you can report them to the relevant authorities such as TRA and KATO

4. They can offer discounts and have budget friendly packages to suit everyone

When we were in Kenya, we used WILDVIEW ADVENTURES as our tour operator company and we enjoyed the trip. You can contact them using their email at wildviewadventures@gmail.com . We are looking forward to come back to Kenya again.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Kenya as much as we did..

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
1 212 posts
182 reviews
72 helpful votes
9. Re: 6 adults safari, is it cheaper to hire a guide and 4 x4
Save

@Tour the world wonders it seems that you picked up an amazing amount of knowledge from your Kenya visit arranged by 'Wildview adventures' who you have prolifically recommended on the forum today. I'm interested in finding out more about the company but can't seem to find a website, Tripadvisor profile or there name on the KATO register so if you could share where myself and other interested parties can find more reviews and information I'm sure it would help.

Many thanks.

Edited: today, 00:24
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
39 posts
10. Re: 6 adults safari, is it cheaper to hire a guide and 4 x4
Save

Check their name on the TRA registry and yes it is a legitimate company.

Edited: today, 00:31
Reply to: 6 adults safari, is it cheaper to hire a guide and 4 x4
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nairobi
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.