We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is my layover too short to do anything?

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
18 helpful votes
Is my layover too short to do anything?
Save

Greetings everyone.

I’ll be flying from Mombasa to Entebbe via Nairobi and I have a 5.5hrs (five and a half hours) layover. Would I have enough time to do anything in Nairobi, whatever that might be? I’ve never been there before and don’t know what to expect/do, so any suggestions will be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

7 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3 865 posts
641 reviews
268 helpful votes
1. Re: Is my layover too short to do anything?
Save

You do have enough time to do something. I recommend that you visit the Giraffe Center.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
8 302 posts
46 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Is my layover too short to do anything?
Save

@Mayor C

It would help if you tell us if the transit time is during the day, evening or night ?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1 058 posts
2 reviews
19 helpful votes
3. Re: Is my layover too short to do anything?
Save

If it will be during the day you can visit the city and visit 1 or 2 attractions sites, Giraffe centre, Karen Blixen museum, Bomas of Kenya, Animal orphanage.... , all which are within 30 mins drive from the airport, it's better to preorganize a taxi to pick you at the airport and drop you in time for your onward flight.

Edited: 27 November 2023, 09:18
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Uganda, Kenya
Level Contributor
3 465 posts
9 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Is my layover too short to do anything?
Save

Personally I wouldn't attempt to do much more than go to an airport hotel for coffee/a quick meal. If you need to be back at the airport 3 hours before your next flight, and then at least half an hour/40 mins into town each way, and potentially more with traffic, you are going to have very little time to actually do anything. Plus time to get through immigration which can take a while.

Alexandra- Extraordinary Africa

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
1 212 posts
182 reviews
72 helpful votes
5. Re: Is my layover too short to do anything?
Save

As Alexandra has advised I would stay inside the airport grounds, Nairobi traffic is unpredictable as is the Airport departure process just take a look at the post svtrader as just added.

Edited: 27 November 2023, 18:18
Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1 230 posts
76 reviews
65 helpful votes
6. Re: Is my layover too short to do anything?
Save

I would not take a chance. Another person just posted how long it took to go through immigration and security when departing.

Tampere, Finland
Level Contributor
299 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Is my layover too short to do anything?
Save

Essentially you have about 1.5 hours, not enough to do anything, just relax at the airport cafes or hotels nearby. 1 Hour before you get clearance to leave the airport, you will need to be at the airport at least 3 hours before departure. With the crazy Nairobi traffic there isn't much you can see.

~Karcey~

Reply to: Is my layover too short to do anything?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nairobi
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.