We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kwetu Nairobi info?

Ben Lomond...
Level Contributor
33 posts
45 reviews
48 helpful votes
Kwetu Nairobi info?
Save

Traveling to Kenya with my family for a 2 week trip, starting in Nairobi for a few days. booked at the Kwetu Nairobi, a new Hilton that's supposed to open Sept 29. When I booked the room the hotel was scheduled to open Aug 1, then Aug 29 now Sept 29.

Does anyone have any additional info on this property? I am concerned that if the date continues to slip we'll arrive to a half open hotel. I think I would rather switch now than arrive to find a surprise. Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
147 posts
1. Re: Kwetu Nairobi info?
Save

Let's be honest. If a hotel always postpones its start date for the opening, I will definitely not sit on a donkey and hope that it will start moving.

I'll just book another hotel. It's not like it's the only hotel in town.

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
1 305 posts
186 reviews
74 helpful votes
2. Re: Kwetu Nairobi info?
Save

It really depends on when your travelling, if its around the same time as the new proposed opening date I would be worried. If you are worried and your booking is fully refundable then as Reinhard has suggested to be safe maybe think about looking at another hotel, there are several other 5 star rated options in Nairobi.

Hopefully there are some local Nairobi residents on this forum that can give you the latest development.

Ben Lomond...
Level Contributor
33 posts
45 reviews
48 helpful votes
3. Re: Kwetu Nairobi info?
Save

Sorry, missed some info on my first post. We are scheduled to arrive Dec 29.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
559 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Kwetu Nairobi info?
Save

They are now only accepting reservations from 30 November. I'd look for other options.

Ben Lomond...
Level Contributor
33 posts
45 reviews
48 helpful votes
5. Re: Kwetu Nairobi info?
Save

Thanks. I reserved a room at the Tribe as a backup. I'd prefer to stay with Hilton properties, but Tribe is certainly more convenient for first timers to Nairobi.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1 089 posts
4 reviews
21 helpful votes
6. Re: Kwetu Nairobi info?
Save

Hilton has 2 other hotels in Nairobi Hilton Garden inn at the airport and Hilton doubletree in Hurligham both in operation, you can also look at them if you prefer Hilton hotels

Edited: 29 August 2023, 19:20
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
10 helpful votes
7. Re: Kwetu Nairobi info?
Save

Ate there last night. It was my partners daughters 24th birthday attended by me, my partner, the birthday girl and her slightly older brother. It was the best meal I have ever had in Kenya and up there world-wide. It is a short Japanese / Asian menu with most dishes done with an imaginative twist. When it came to the prawn / octopus toast starter I would go as far as an imaginative and brave twist. When they first arrived, I think we were all, like, OMG what have they done?! They were a triumph! The other starter we had was good old deep-fried squid. A dish that I consider a good ‘gauge’ choice. It was top-notch. Forgive me if I can’t remember all the names of the mains but there were some lobster and potato deep-fried ‘balls’ that I thought were the dish of the night. Gyoza dumplings that we all agreed were a little disappointing compared with the other dishes but still nice. Chicken satay that I didn’t try but everyone else raved about. Wagyu Beef that was an event! The staff were charming, attentive and knowledgeable. The chef came out a couple of times and as well as obvioulsy being brilliant at his job he came over as a genuinely nice guy. That was a first! All the dishes came with various dips and sauces, all perfectly executed, complex and fragrant. We wouldn’t have gone for a desert because we were all full but before we told them that they brought out a complementally desert selection. A really nice touch. They did the happy birthday thing with subtlety and class. I usually find such things embarrassing but not last night. The food wasn’t cheap but worth it in my opinion. The price of the drinks on the other hand was astronomical. You would not believe the price of a bottle of Heineken! I was told that the cocktails were very good. Not stingy on the alcohol as well as being delicious. I would love to give them 10/10 but the price of very ordinary drinks knocked the pinnacle off perfection. Oh, and they are going to be in trouble as it starts getting busy as they do not have anywhere near as many toilet facilities as they will need. This may seem a strange thing to finish the review on but one cubicle and one stall in the men’s toilets… You need to sort that one out guys. Otherwise, an absolutely lovely night, great company, fantastic food, cool surroundings, charming, efficient and effective staff. Thank you and well done! Steve.

Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
10 helpful votes
8. Re: Kwetu Nairobi info?
Save

I stayed at the Tribe for 6 nights. Two different suites. Penny for penny it was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I am 62 years old and well travelled with both business and pleasure.

Reply to: Kwetu Nairobi info?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.