We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim card or e sim?

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
6 helpful votes
Sim card or e sim?
Save

Hello

Have been investigating sim cards to purchase on arrival at NairobI Airport. There is now an option to buy an e sim via the airalo app.

Does anyone have experience of this app? Would you recommend this or physical sim card?

We are in Kenya for a week and then into Tanzania for 2 weeks so it would be good to have one that would.work on both countries

29 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1 089 posts
4 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Sim card or e sim?
Save

safaricom SIM cards works in both countries with good network coverage available for purchase at the airport E-sim is also available at safaricom retail shop if your device is compatible with it

Welcome to Kenya🇰🇪

Mombasa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
2 236 posts
123 reviews
67 helpful votes
2. Re: Sim card or e sim?
Save

Better get a physical SIM card on the ground, any issues, everywhere someone will be able to assist.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
361 posts
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Sim card or e sim?
Save

Just get a physical Sim card on arrival at JKIA, its more efficient - Safaricom Sim card will do...

San Francisco...
5 posts
4. Re: Sim card or e sim?
Save

Did you end up using the esim using the app? I just learned about it and thinking I should use it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Sim card or e sim?
Save

Hello. Just got back today and used Airalo for Kenya and Tanzania. Worked better in Kenya due to better network and very convenient.

Would use it again!

NB do check that your phone is e sim compatible. Mine isn't Samsung S10 but my kids are. IPhone XS and 12. The app tells you how to check.

San Francisco...
5 posts
6. Re: Sim card or e sim?
Save

Thank you so much. iPhone 12 here. Will try it out!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
925 posts
80 reviews
28 helpful votes
7. Re: Sim card or e sim?
Save

I used an eSim for the first time in Botswana recently.

It worked but was expensive (emergency and better than full roaming charges on my phone plan).

This was Maya Mobile and similar idea to Airalo as mentioned above. These work out as more expensive than my mobile roaming charges in Kenya. (£5 per day then UK data allowance).

For Kenya next year I would love to get a Safaricom eSim but can't seem to find a way to buy before arrival.

If this doesn't work I will buy a Safaricom Sim from the airport.

I use one device as a wifi hub for 2 or 3 other phones/tablets and the system works well.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Sim card or e sim?
Save

Just come across your post and looking at Airalo app. Did you go to Masai Mara? Did you get any service? Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
6 helpful votes
9. Re: Sim card or e sim?
Save

Hello. Yes both my boys used the app for our whole trip in Kenya, Tanzania and Zanzibar. Good reception wherever we went and good WiFi in the camps.

Enjoy!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
3 helpful votes
10. Re: Sim card or e sim?
Save

Thanks for getting back to me. Will give it a go then. Just wasn’t sure of cover for the Mara. Thank you!

Reply to: Sim card or e sim?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.