We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would you do?

Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
What would you do?

Hello, my family and I are close to finalizing a safari tour to Kenya and Tanzania. We are planning to go next year to catch the great migration. Due to the news of Kenya's political climate the last couple days, we are growing hesitant. What would you guys do? We are thinking of waiting for the Oct 26 election to see if Kenya is safe and/or going only to Tanzania.

10 replies to this topic
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What would you do?

When next year were you planning to go?

There always seems to be political unrest surrounding elections in all African countries which usually dies down as the months go by. It's difficult to say if this current situation will be the same.

You may feel more comfortable waiting until your booking deadline to decide and keep watching the news.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37 637 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What would you do?

Ignore the news and just look forward to your trip.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4 504 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What would you do?

Planning for safari next year should be ok.

The Opposition Party has withdrawn from the election re-run scheduled for 26th Oct.

The next step forward will come from the Supreme Court.

Do keep up with the latest news in the media so you can plan accordingly.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
235 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What would you do?

Next year is long way from now. Book with confidence.

N.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1 724 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What would you do?

Please don't worry because I am now in Kenya and things are quite calm. I can assure you that you will have the time of your life when you come and visit Kenya.

Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What would you do?

We are going in June :) my brother had just asked me about the politics in Kenya and I had reassured him it was fine.. then that very night news came up about 37 people dying during the protest and the whirlwind of information about the Election, etc.

Thank you everyone for your insight. I will need to re persuade our group about safety in Kenya since June is a long way from what is happening now... and should be tranquil by the time we begin our safari adventure :)

Edited: 11 October 2017, 20:42
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What would you do?

I will wait.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What would you do?

There is absolutely nothing to worry about, everything is calm here. The demonstrations are done peaceful, sometimes the media exaggerates but all is well and the security is well maintained. As a tour operator i assure you things are ok just go a head with your plan

Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What would you do?

Across2017, there have been some ugly scenes in recent days with three demonstrators reported shot dead around the country, as well as tear gas being fired within a few blocks of some of central Nairobi's best known hotels. Thankfully tourists haven't been caught up in that yet, but hardly a scene of "peace". Yes the media does selectively report but it isn't helpful to counter that by making exaggerations of your own.

Edited: 14 October 2017, 17:58
Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2 729 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What would you do?

Wanderlust, I would understand your concern if you were planning to visit this year, but next July/August??? Even during the worst post electoral violence (2008) the situation had calmed after about 2 months. If you are really cautious, wait until the end of October, then gauge the situation.

Reply to: What would you do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nairobi