We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Georgia - Dec

Hong Kong, China
5 posts
Georgia - Dec

Hello,

We (2 person)would like travel to Georgia on Dec 23-Dec 31, 8 nights , we never travel there before , would like to rent car.

1) we love mountain, want to do hikking and camping, days, any suggestion for trekking and camping.

2) any must go or fantastic place we should go during winter. Due to time limit, we want to concentrate on few places , instead of spending too much time on transportation.

2) is it necessary to rent Jeep for winter situation?

Please help, thanks.

5 replies to this topic
Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
216 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Georgia - Dec

Hi Alvin, in general, hiking options in the mountains in December are very limited because of the snow. I would also forget about camping unless you have experience with winter trekking and are sufficiently equipped for that - but that would mean you are going rather for some kind of an expedition, not a vacation.

To save time, I summed up outdoor activities in the Georgian mountains into this article, hopefully it will be of any help to you.

www.caucasus-trekking.com/general/winter

As for the jeep, that depends on your driving skills and your itinerary, there is no ultimate answer for such question. Almost everybody here will recommend you a good, English-speaking driver (guess why :P) - not a bad advice for people who want to travel a lot but if you dont plan to move around much, you should be fine if you just take a taxi whenever needed.

Tbilisi, Georgia
1 post
1 review
2. Re: Georgia - Dec

Hello Alvin

Maybe instead of renting a car you better ask for an English speaking driver. As Jozef mentioned December is not a good time for hiking.

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 282 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Georgia - Dec

Hi,

December is a first month of Winter and this is a time for skiing and snow activities. It is not a time for hiking and camping in freezing cold temperature. You have to bring your warm cloths.

I suggest you to hire an experienced driver or guide driver to visit skiing resorts and mountains of Georgia, as not every one car drive on snowy roads in mountains and it may be difficult for you too to drive on snowy serpentine mountain roads.

Best regards,

George

Private Daily Tours in Georgia

Hong Kong, China
5 posts
4. Re: Georgia - Dec

Hello, Jozef A,

Thanks for your kindly advice. and a really nice article!!

I have but not too much experience on winter trekking, won’t try long distance, but still want to try walk about the trails even only short walk.Pity that camping is not an option here.

This is my plan.

12/24 Davit Gareja

12/25, 26 Kazbei, will stay in guest house.

12/27 Mtskheta, Tbilisi,

12/28 Kakheti, Sighnaghi,

12/29, 30 Lagodekhi national park

12/31, return to Tbilisi,

Hong Kong, China
5 posts
5. Re: Georgia - Dec

Thanks for kindly advice.

Reply to: Georgia - Dec
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tbilisi