We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Georgia! Couple of questions...

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
66 reviews
First Trip to Georgia! Couple of questions...

I’m planning on taking my 17 year old son to Tbilisi for a few days next summer. I know it will be hot them, but unfortunately this is a big year for him for exams so we can only go away in July or August. The heat doesn’t bother us too much- have done Turkey and similar in +40 degree weather and while not ideal, has been manageable.

From Scotland it looks like we either fly via Amsterdam or London. Amsterdam gets us in late afternoon and then it’s pre-crack of dawn flight out. London is an overnight/land in the middle of the night then an evening flight back (BUT we’d miss the last flight to Scotland and would have to overnight in London). I’m leaning towards Amsterdam as although it would be a slightly shorter trip, am not sure of the wisdom of an all nighter at the start of the holiday!

So, assuming KLM/Air Georgia, I’m thinking of the following itinerary...

Day 1: Land late afternoon, dinner and evening in Tbilisi

Day 2: half day trip to Gori by Marshrutka.

Day 3: Trip to Gergeti Trinity Church with stop offs along the way (seems to be loads of tours to choose from)

Day 4: Day in Tbilisi

Day 5: Day Trip to David Gareja Monastary

Day 6: Flight home

So my questions....

1. Accepting that it will be HOT, from the end of June through 22ndish August, is there a relatively less hot time or does it not make a difference and it will just be hot?

2. For the David Gareja Monastary, I see there is a daily marshrutka but that it leaves at 11:00. Given the heat, I was wondering whether it is possible to hire a driver or driver and guide to go very early in the morning to miss the worst of the heat? I was thinking around 7:00AM? Is this possible- I.e. worth my contacting a few companies?

3. I know I need a headscarf and skirt to enter churches. A couple of places have mentioned no shorts for men as well? Is this the case (and so would bring a pair of tracksuit bottoms for my son to slip on).

Any advice would be gratefully received!

12 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
886 posts
1. Re: First Trip to Georgia! Couple of questions...

You give too much information and ask questions that are not at all related to all that information.

You need to rewrite the whole thing and post a shorter version with just the questions.

1. You are too much worried about the heat, especially in Kazbegi (Gergeti) - it is never that hot there. Overall, August is the hottest month in Georgia but it is not Africa or Saudi Arabia.

2. Of course it is possible to hire a driver. And of course you can take a taxi too (round trip).

3. Shorts are fine pretty much everywhere, especially for a 17 year old. And even headscarf is not required for female tourists. Just don't show up in leggings, for heaven's sake. Not just in churches but anywhere under the sun.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: First Trip to Georgia! Couple of questions...

I hope you will forgive my enthusiasm when writing and I thank you for answering my questions. Don’t worry, I wouldn’t dream of wearing leggings *anywhere*! Not an attractive look for a 50 year old. :+)

Level Contributor
886 posts
3. Re: First Trip to Georgia! Couple of questions...

OK, great :)

Also, you maybe want to consider Wizzair.com flights from Luton to Kutaisi. From Kutaisi airport there are direct buses to Tbilisi center (and back) and their schedules are adjusted to the plane arrivals/departures. There are 2 bus companies that offer this service:

https://georgianbus.com/new/?lng=eng

http://omnibusexpress.ge/omnibus/faq-eng.html

Check out the wizzair prices and let us know if you find a good deal.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: First Trip to Georgia! Couple of questions...

Thank you, that is really helpful! I knew about the Wizzair flight but had ruled it out because I didn’t realise you could go direct from Kutaisi airport to Tbilisi. It’s about half the price of going via Amsterdam.

Level Contributor
886 posts
5. Re: First Trip to Georgia! Couple of questions...

If you have a cheap way of getting to London, Luton-KUT flight is a good option for you.

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
130 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: First Trip to Georgia! Couple of questions...

Please explain to me what to do in Gori? Your son is a communist?

Where are really important and interesting places in your itinerary? Where is Mtskheta, Kakthetia? do you know that David Gareja is a desert?

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
66 reviews
7. Re: First Trip to Georgia! Couple of questions...

Alex, I spent a good deal of time in Eastern Europe when I was a teen back in the 80s, including several weeks in Poland while it was under martial law. I ended up doing a history degree with a concentration on the Cold War. So while my son is most certainly not a communist, I do have a specific interest in seeing the Stalin Museum. My understanding is that it does glorify Stalin, but having taken my son to the Gulag Museum, Cold War bunker etc in Moscow, I think he will also find it interesting.

I wasn’t particularly interested in Kakthetia as I think it is the wine region? I’m not much of a drinker and wine valleys don’t hold much interest to me- e.g. I’ve been to Northern California several times, but never been to the Napa Valley.

I wasn’t planning on going to Mtskheta purely because I don’t think we have enough time on this trip- there is a lot I’d like to do in Tblisi, but perhaps I should rethink Mtskheta?

I know David Gareja is in the desert- that’s part of the attraction being a contrast to the scenery in the Caucuses.

Ideally we’d have much much longer because there is an awful lot I’d like to see! Unfortunately I don’t think I can stretch this holiday any further.

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
468 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: First Trip to Georgia! Couple of questions...

Hi there

Why don't you consider overnighting in Kazbegi? The weather is much bearable there in August and you will have time to go hiking and explore the place.

You are welcome to where everything and yes, there are conditions to enter churches and monasteries, men should wear trousers and not wear hats inside the church and females should wear skirts and scarfs. Most cases you will find scarfs and dresses at the entrance of the church and you can use them.

If you plan to go up to the caves in Davit Gareji I would advise you to wear long trousers and comfy closed shoes for safety reasons.

It is quite easy to get a tour or taxi to any place.

If you decide to fly to Kutaisi, you can drive to Tbilisi directly and from the other side, you can explore western Georgia during your trip, Kutaisi-Batumi-Svaneti.

Have a nice trip!

Maia

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
66 reviews
9. Re: First Trip to Georgia! Couple of questions...

Thanks, Maia! Yes, I had been wondering about doing an overnight in Kazbegi. We love hiking. Possibly drop Gori and stay in Kazbegi overnight instead.

Level Contributor
886 posts
10. Re: First Trip to Georgia! Couple of questions...

Bonnie151

There are 2 great things about you so far:

a. You don't wear leggings

b. You managed that your son is not a communist in today's Western Europe.

I think we will like you in Georgia, and you will like it here too.

Reply to: First Trip to Georgia! Couple of questions...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted