We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much cash should I bring?

4 posts
How much cash should I bring?

My partner and I are going to Port Vila for a week in October. First time overseas not sure whether to get money converted in Australia or if there's better ways of exchanging the money? And where to go to get it exchanged

5 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 305 posts
96 reviews
1. Re: How much cash should I bring?

Dale, if you read the Top Questions about Port Vila, on the top right of this page, if you are using a PC or tablet, all your answers will be found.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
616 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: How much cash should I bring?

And if you don't have a pc or tablet, exchange money in Vanuatu for a much better rate than in Australia.

You can do that at the airport or in town.

Alternatively, if you are only planning on staying at the resort, you can use your Aust credit card (exchange fees may apply).

There are quite a few posts in this forum on when/how/where to exchange money. Read through a few pages of questions and you'll see what I mean

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
949 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: How much cash should I bring?

We are currently spending a week in Port Vila, staying at Chantillys. We exchanged A$500 on arrival at the airport where the rate was 80v. ( not at the bank which had a worse rate) This will be enough to last the 2 of us. We have paid cash for buses ( though only needed to go out to Hideaway, the Beach Bar and a couple of trips around town) , entry to Hideaway,Blue Lagoon.and Iriki, groceries to self cater for lbreakfast, lunches, wine and nibbles. Meal wise we paid cash for a snack meal at Seaview , dinner and drinks at Au Fare and at the Beach Bar and drinks at Rossi’s. We have used credit for our other dinners. Prices are a bit more expensive than what we pay at home in Melbourne.

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
949 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: How much cash should I bring?

Forgot to say that it also included taxi to an from the airport (1700v each way)

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
19 posts
5. Re: How much cash should I bring?

are you planning to stay in a hotel,motel, lodge or prefer simple living as local

?

Reply to: How much cash should I bring?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila
Recent Conversations