We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agoda/Expedia/Zuji/Booking.com/Asia Rooms - family bookings?

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
795 posts
20 reviews
35 helpful votes
Agoda/Expedia/Zuji/Booking.com/Asia Rooms - family bookings?

Hi, just wondering which of these sites are most reliable and easy to contact if need be?

I have normally booked accommodation through a local Travel Agent like Flight Centre etc or direct with a hotel, but am considering trying one of these online booking sites for our next trip to Phuket at Xmas time.

We are family with 2 kids and find that some of the room descriptions on some of these sites don't always clarify the bedding configuration which I am concerned could lead to issues on arrival if this is not correct at the time of booking.....

Also wondering about how true are the terms that say "free cancellation" - how long take to get refund if need to cancel within the correct time frame....

and "book now pay later" - is there any risk of room not being available if not paid for at time of booking?

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bec

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
9 010 posts
455 reviews
647 helpful votes
1. Re: Agoda/Expedia/Zuji/Booking.com/Asia Rooms - family bookings?

Bec, we have use Agoda, Sawaddee, hotels.com. booking.com etc etc and never had a problem with any of them. Have also used the book now pay later and once again all to easy, you just pay at the hotel. Never had to cancel so cannot help there :)

Cathy

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4 440 posts
39 reviews
62 helpful votes
2. Re: Agoda/Expedia/Zuji/Booking.com/Asia Rooms - family bookings?

I have used Sawadee alot, also AWD, booking.com and Zuji, like Cathy never had a problem.

Sawadee is probably my favorite, as with the places I choose to stay I have generally got the best prices there or direct with hotel

Michelle

perth
Level Contributor
20 294 posts
67 reviews
52 helpful votes
3. Re: Agoda/Expedia/Zuji/Booking.com/Asia Rooms - family bookings?

Hi

Us too have been using all above. A couple of time we had to cancel and no problem. My favorite is booking.come book now pay later with no cancellations fee deal.

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
4. Re: Agoda/Expedia/Zuji/Booking.com/Asia Rooms - family bookings?

A lot of the travel sites/companies are kind under the same huge umbrella company aimed different markets.

Booking = Agoda = Kayak = Priceline

Hotels = Expedia = They had a travel forum (can`t remember the name, but I hear its quite good)

And I think Asia Rooms = Thomsons

Just make sure you read the terms properly and know what your getting. Most of them have a special request section when booking (or a few days after booking) that can be updated/passed on to the hotel.

Bromley Kent
Level Contributor
844 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Agoda/Expedia/Zuji/Booking.com/Asia Rooms - family bookings?

Hi Becstar

With 3 kids (one aged 12 so an "adult" as far as much of the travel is concerned !!) I was really checking the Children policy on these sites.

I found that Bookin.com was clearest and when we booked I made it clear in the special requests box that I was appying the "kids under x saty free in existing beds". There did not seem to be the facility for this on Agoda site.

I only booked deals that had book now and pay later with no cancellation penaltie. We did use this option a couple of times - just to "keep our options open" where we had not finalised intinerary and rooms seemed limited. We cancelled within the time frame (normally 10 -14 days before arrival) and there was no charge.

Also found booking.com really easy to call up with local uk based number getting you straight through to a person!!

They could however be more transparent about credit card costs - informing customers where hotels will levy credit card charges. They should be able to insist that their advertisers are clear.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28 899 posts
66 reviews
129 helpful votes
6. Re: Agoda/Expedia/Zuji/Booking.com/Asia Rooms - family bookings?

AsiaRooms is TUI, but in Australia, they are back ended with LateRooms, by Wotif.com

Zuji is NOT a 'regular' OTA, are a different kettle of fish to others listed, as they aren't direct contract, and they sell off the GDS. So be careful.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 21:26
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
795 posts
20 reviews
35 helpful votes
7. Re: Agoda/Expedia/Zuji/Booking.com/Asia Rooms - family bookings?

Thanks guys, I feel more comfortable about booking thru them now.... :)

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Agoda/Expedia/Zuji/Booking.com/Asia Rooms - family bookings?

We have always used Agoda. It pretty much lists all the bedding requirements. You can also list anything in the special requirement section.

9. Re: Agoda/Expedia/Zuji/Booking.com/Asia Rooms - family bookings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 06:17