We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport lingering to be issued

Sydney, Australia
8 posts
Passport lingering to be issued
Save

Hi. I have flight in 14 days from Sydney to Bangkok un 14 days. I already applied for an Australian passport which normally takes around 3 weeks as per Auspost officer. And now 3 weeks gone and the status of my Passport is still UNDER ASSESSMENT! Considering we need a thai pass to fly to Thailand and that I need a passport number to apply for it, how long does the pass take to be out?

Have any of you guys been issued a passport recently? how long more do I have to wait?

13 replies to this topic
Thailand
Destination Expert
for Thailand, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
14 846 posts
4 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Passport lingering to be issued
Save

You might get better response asking about Australia passports on the Australia forum.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
34 397 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Passport lingering to be issued
Save

**which normally takes around 3 weeks as per Auspost officer.***

These are not and have not been normal times for a while.

Loughborough...
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
16 258 posts
60 reviews
115 helpful votes
3. Re: Passport lingering to be issued
Save

Looks like you will unfortunately have to defer your travel plans.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
378 posts
15 reviews
14 helpful votes
4. Re: Passport lingering to be issued
Save

Hi, our daughter had to apply for a renewed passport it was rather urgent, not for travel but for a power of attorney to buy a place in Thailand, she paid an extra$200 plus to have it expedited it still took nearly 2 weeks to arrive, we were told the turnaround is roughly 6 weeks , Australia post is a right mess at present, you might be lucky but I would have a plan B in place……. Mandy

Thailand
Destination Expert
for Thailand, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
14 846 posts
4 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: Passport lingering to be issued
Save

Not sure what Australia MPs can do for their constituents, but in the USA with your situation we would contact our Congressperson and ask their assistance. They put a call into the national passport office and get things sped up (actually one of their staff calls).

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
20 328 posts
28 reviews
38 helpful votes
6. Re: Passport lingering to be issued
Save

I think it might be time to investigate postponing your trip.

Sydney, Australia
8 posts
7. Re: Passport lingering to be issued
Save

Just got the email from Passport office that my pass is issued. any idea how long it takes for me to have it? or any idea if I can ask for a pick up for an earlier access?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
14 171 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Passport lingering to be issued
Save

MR C

Trying the old MP trick probably will not work.

Firstly I have found that it takes a long time. That said the Former MP where I live I did have her ear.

What happens is you ask for a meeting , this sometime take months. Then if you get pass that stage they write to the minister, it helps if they are in the same party.I have seen plenty of these letters when I worked in the Government. The minister sends this to the department, then will get a reply. I know what they will say.

During Covid the Federal Government was sending text messages to advise people that the passport was expiring in 6 weeks time. The people who did the passport were sent to other departs, because they had nothing to do. In the good old days , I was able to hand deliver the application at the passport office. Then I called in after two weeks and ask when it would be ready. They asked me to wait.

In 10 mins a person appeared waving it , it was still hot !

Emergency passports are available, again when I worked in the Government I would go to the passport office. Same for Visas I would take them to the Embassy.

The delay is probably not with Australia Post, people are now starting to apply . It would be the volume going through the office .I would also suggest the OP might be dual passport holder. I think they are going to Iran

Chok Dee

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
14 171 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Passport lingering to be issued
Save

They may have already despatched it. It is about 10 years year since I got my last one.

Normally they post them , with a signature required . One would think it should take 3-4 days .Canberra to Sydney

Good Luck

Edited: 01 December 2021, 09:06
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
378 posts
15 reviews
14 helpful votes
10. Re: Passport lingering to be issued
Save

Chok dee, those days are well gone I’m afraid as I said we paid over $200 extra to get this passport( it was only a renewal not a new one) and my daughter was tracking it and it sat at Dandenong for over a week so I’m afraid I do blame the PO they just can not cope with the amount of mail at present…… m

Reply to: Passport lingering to be issued
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bangkok
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.