We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange rate

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
10 reviews
6 helpful votes
Exchange rate
Save

What’s best exchange rate for Thai baht and best place to exchange money or am I better using my visa debit card Or use Revolut ? Cheers

4 replies to this topic
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
9 418 posts
27 reviews
65 helpful votes
1. Re: Exchange rate
Save

I assume you are asking about Scottish pounds but your best rate will be if you exchange them for English ones at a rate of 1 to 1 as Scottish money is not accepted.

For £ the street exchange booths are giving around 43.5 , changing using a debit card depends on your card but the rate is a bit less but for a 10000 withdrawal there is generally a 220 bhat charge .Yesterday my 10000 bhat cost me £235 so 42.70. If given the option of converting into a sterling amount instead of Thai bhat do not do it.

My grocery shop using a Starling debit card who do not charge had a rate of 43. 5

My Virgin credit card who charge 3% was about 41

You can also use contactless.

You can use credit and debi

Loughborough...
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
16 307 posts
60 reviews
115 helpful votes
2. Re: Exchange rate
Save

44.45 to the UK £ was the rate at Vasu Bangkok today for a £50 note. Unlikely to find better than that.

Best is always to take cash.Most UK debit cards incur a hefty charge by Thai banks for ATM use.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
9 418 posts
27 reviews
65 helpful votes
3. Re: Exchange rate
Save

Starling don't charge a percentage on foreign transactions. They are an online bank and you can transfer to them from your regular bank aniseed our transactions. They use Mastercard. Got 44.45 today in a mall. You will find using cards is a good choice but be aware they often block your account if they suspect something suspicious so use it a few times in the UK

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
20 338 posts
28 reviews
38 helpful votes
4. Re: Exchange rate
Save

If you are in Bangkok, I would recommend Siam Exchange. It just a very short walk up Phayathai Rad from MBK mall

http://siamexchange.co.th/home/#/

Reply to: Exchange rate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bangkok
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.