We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New twist on the old “the wat is closed today” game

Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
New twist on the old “the wat is closed today” game
Save

We’ve read here on TA about the wat is closed scam, so when we got to Bangkok we were ready for it. (TYVM). But today, we ran into a new twist on this old game.

As we walked past Wat Pho, an older, nicely dressed, Thai gentleman approached us. He flashed a Royal Thai Police badge and they were cracking down on pickpockets around the Wat. He pointed at my GoPro and cautioned us to be careful.

Then, he asked why we weren’t going to the standing Budda. We told him we had just arrived back in town and were planning a Wat day tomorrow.

“Not open tomorrow,” he said. “I can take you today.”

We politely declined...and walked away, snickering at this new twist to the old game. We would have probably fallen for it if it hadn’t been for all the great advice here on TA.

Royal Thai Police? I don’t think so skippy (at least not that guy)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
6 972 posts
25 reviews
15 helpful votes
1. Re: New twist on the old “the wat is closed today” game
Save

The standing Buddha and flashing a police ID is not so new. At least you didn't fall for it.

Loughborough...
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
15 888 posts
60 reviews
115 helpful votes
2. Re: New twist on the old “the wat is closed today” game
Save

Well done. Sometimes it is a retired university professor or an off duty doctor.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1 295 posts
17 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: New twist on the old “the wat is closed today” game
Save

Well done for seeing through it!

I like to think that I'm quite a savvy traveller and had read about the various scams on here. What I wasn't prepared for was how incredibly well it's done!

In January we were walking at about 8:45am from our hotel to BTS Sala Daeng to go to The Grand Palace. And as we were walking along a smartly dressed lady walked along side us and started what seemed to be a really nice and totally genuine conversation about where we were from and where we were going - and the 'it's closed this morning - why don't you go elsewhere' scam attempt started!

She definitely scored a 10/10 for trying!

Edited: 3 years ago
Loughborough...
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
15 888 posts
60 reviews
115 helpful votes
4. Re: New twist on the old “the wat is closed today” game
Save

Genuine Thai people do not approach tourists uninvited. But the scammers are usually men so well done for spotting the rogue female.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1 295 posts
17 reviews
9 helpful votes
5. Re: New twist on the old “the wat is closed today” game
Save

It felt like an opportunist attempt - it wasn't in a main tourist area (a fairly quiet foot path adjacent to Lumpini Park) and she said that she was on her way to work (which stacked up as it was about 8:45 on a Monday morning) in a travel agency and offered to phone for assistance if we wanted to take up her offer of going elsewhere! Perhaps she was a friend or relative of a main scammer - I'm not sure!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
6 972 posts
25 reviews
15 helpful votes
6. Re: New twist on the old “the wat is closed today” game
Save

There are quite a few "friendly" women along Silom area. Often lower Silom nr. jewellery shops.

Loughborough...
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
15 888 posts
60 reviews
115 helpful votes
7. Re: New twist on the old “the wat is closed today” game
Save

Lots of 'friendly' women in many areas of Bangkok, indeed all over Thailand NF ..... :-)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
6 972 posts
25 reviews
15 helpful votes
8. Re: New twist on the old “the wat is closed today” game
Save

Haha KhunBill, that must make the choice difficult🤔

9. Re: New twist on the old “the wat is closed today” game

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2019, 06:18
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.