We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries - Better booked in advance?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Ferries - Better booked in advance?

Hi,

I'm going to Thailand (and Malaysia) in Feb'15 and I'll do some Island Hopping - Ao Nang > Koh Lanta > Koh Kradan > Ko Lipe > Langkawi > Penang.

There's this online company - AmazingLanta - where you can book the ferries beforehand. Do you think that's wise or should I buy the tickets locally.

Booking them online seems like a good idea, given that I won't have to worry about the ferry being full or losing time time there purchasing tickets. However, maybe one could get better rates being at the pier.

What's your experience?

Thanks for your help,

Bruno

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26 324 posts
70 reviews
62 helpful votes
1. Re: Ferries - Better booked in advance?

I'd just book them when you get there - you're bound to have to pay a commission through an agency.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
38 053 posts
386 reviews
447 helpful votes
2. Re: Ferries - Better booked in advance?

Hi

We normally book 1 or 2 days beforehand, don't line the pockets of the agents as Cass says.

North East England...
Level Contributor
520 posts
82 reviews
64 helpful votes
3. Re: Ferries - Better booked in advance?

I've booked ferry using amazing lanta to langkawi in January. They're collecting us from our hotel in trang. Yes it is a little more expensive (50bt £1ish) but you have to have your email or receipt printed. I can't do that unless I pre book so that's what we've done. I've done it for my own peace of mind as it's the holiday season. You can also alter or cancel your booking online as long as you give 24 hrs notice if you need to. However, Bruno G, as you're possibly not sure of your dates, you may want to leave it till you get to the pier? If you find its booked for that day, maybe go the next?

Edited: 23 October 2014, 09:31
perth
Level Contributor
768 posts
28 reviews
17 helpful votes
4. Re: Ferries - Better booked in advance?

Booked when you want to go. You never know you might hook up with someone.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
21 055 posts
33 reviews
55 helpful votes
5. Re: Ferries - Better booked in advance?

With the exception of the Lomprayah catamaran service on the east coast, do NOT book ferries in advance! We've had numerous reports here of vouchers not being recognized, people being brought to the wrong pier., all kinds of mix-ups. Thailand is simply not organized for this. There is no central booking system. It is also simply not necessary because ferries are rarely full, and gives you the opposite of "peace of mind" due to all the hassles. What is probably a good idea is to buy a voucher at your hotel desk or a local travel agency for the next day, and then you get transportation to the pier thrown in.

Edited: 23 October 2014, 15:47
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Ferries - Better booked in advance?

Thanks a lot for all your replies! I shall book them there then : )

7. Re: Ferries - Better booked in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2015, 06:16