We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus routes?

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
bus routes?

can anyone help me with info about bus routes?! Flying out to Zambia in June, and struggling to find info on bus routes! Bradt guide is not massively helpful on this ...

We're going up to Copperbelt to visit family friends, so will fly Lusaka - Ndola and return. We'll then have another 10 days or so, but not an unlimited budget ... I am really tempted by the River Horse short Zambezi canoe trip, which starts and finishes near Chirundu. Any idea how easy it would be to get a bus from Lusaka to Chirundu, to do the trip and then carry on by bus from Chirundu down to Livingstone? Also just some general info about longer distance bus travel greatly appreciated!

8 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3 285 posts
1 review
1. Re: bus routes?

Some info on public transport on here, posted on May 2023,

https://greentravel.world/travelling-in-zambia-by-public-transport/

World
Level Contributor
7 900 posts
621 reviews
262 helpful votes
2. Re: bus routes?

Lusaka to Chirundu

locals travel between the two all the time via minivan / combi. long distance bus also exist (like the kind that go all the way down to Joburg)

Chirundu to Livingstone

dont know if there is direct. you might have to go back to Lusaka

in any case, i wouldnt worry so much, it is easy to figure these things out once on the ground.

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
5 331 posts
615 reviews
266 helpful votes
3. Re: bus routes?

I'm with mrc.

Doubt there is a direct bus from Chirundu to Livingstone.

You probably have to go back to Kafue, not Lusaka,I think to connect to a Livingstone bus.

Edited: 21 April 2024, 11:08
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: bus routes?

thanks for the help - much appreciated. We're going to be fairly tight on time, so just needed some reassurance that it was all do-able!

Lusaka, Zambia
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
9 helpful votes
5. Re: bus routes?

Greetings Poll78,

Firstly, you are welcome to Zambia "In Advance :)" You will find Zambia to very exciting and peaceful.

From Lusaka to Chirundu, you will mostly find Mini Buses, which you can board from City Market Bus Station within Lusaka's CBD. The bus fair as at today is K230.00, about US$ 9.00.

The same buses can be used from Chirundu to either Kafue or Lusaka.

There is no direct route from Chirundu to Livingstone.

From Kafue to Livingstone, you will catch one of the long distance Coaches (Big Buses) from Lusaka, preferably UBZ Buses because of their Professionalism, Timeliness and Comfort. They are so far second to Non. If not, you can try Power Tools Buses or Shalom Buses. If you have a day to spare and accommodation arrangements in Lusaka after your Chirundu trip, I would advise that you travel back to Lusaka and plan to get on a morning bus from Lusaka to Livingstone. This will give you a wider range of choice of the bus company to use and which seat to pick. The bus fair from Lusaka to Livingstone as at today is K380.00, about US$ 14.72, 13.80 Euros and 12.00 Pounds.

Enjoy your stay in this beautiful country.

Edited: 23 April 2024, 10:09
Lusaka, Zambia
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
9 helpful votes
6. Re: bus routes?

Lusaka to Chirundu is actually K130.00. Sorry for the typo.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: bus routes?

Thank you - that's incredibly helpful! We're really looking forward to our trip.

Timing-wise, in a perfect world, we could get from Chirundu to Livingstone in a day's travel; so probably without going back to Lusaka but catching a bus at Kafue - do you think that's a reasonable plan?

Lusaka, Zambia
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
9 helpful votes
8. Re: bus routes?

Please don't mention it.

That is a very reasonable plan and doable.

Chirundu to Lusaka is about 2 to 3 hours self drive, and sometimes the minibuses can take the same time depending on the stop overs. So you can target to catch one of the earliest buses so that you target to reach Kafue bus station by 10am. You can then catch the 09.30am Lusaka - Livingstone Coach. Very attainable.

Reply to: bus routes?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.