We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka

Dear friends, appreciate your advice

I arrive on a Sunday morning about 10am in kapiri Mposhi using the Tazara train from Dar Er Salaam.

At kapiri Mposhi I read must take mini bus to Lusaka. Is the mini buses outside the Kapiri station or some distance away? How much do I expect to pay and how long is the journey?

Arrival at which bus station in Lusaka please? Is it the same central inter city bus station in Lusaka? or different ones? I have read some scary reports of bus stations in Lusaka where tours and call boys harass you.

From whichever mini bus station in Lusaka that the bus from kabwe stops, it it easy to get a taxi to my hotel and how much can I expect to pay? Is it a fixed rate or run by meter?

The following day I need go to whichever bus station to buy a ticket to Livingstone. Which bus company is recommended and which station do I get it from please? TQ

14 replies to this topic
Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
5 331 posts
615 reviews
266 helpful votes
1. Re: Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka

I don't think you can get a mini bus from the train station straight to Lusaka.

I'm happy to be corrected.

You will need to take a taxi into the town centre to the bus stop where the Lusaka buses stop.

Shouldn't be more than K100 for the taxi.

Take the big buses to Lusaka, not mini buses due to safety.

In Lusaka, all buses terminate at City Centre bus station which is a mad disorganised place.

This is the same place you'll need to take the bus to Livingstone.

You can purchase your tickets to Livingstone the day before travelling.

We were there a year ago and used UBZ buses.

They were on time, clean and had WiFi.

We used them on our return from Livingstone and flew down with Zambian Airways.

You can also follow Proflight on Social Media as they have frequent flash sales to Livingstone.

The flight takes an hour and the bus trip is about 6.

Edited: 14 April 2024, 10:10
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
29 posts
2. Re: Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka

Thank you Mukuba for your reply. Yes, you are right, I will have to take a taxi to the town centre to catch a bus to Lusaka. In the town centre where all the big buses congregate, is it safe for someone like a foreigner to go round looking for the correct bus to Lusaka? Are there many buses running through the day? Can i buy ticket for this bus to Lusaka on the same day?

I am not sure what time I will finally arrive at Kapiri, if its on time I should arrive in the morning. Hopefully that is enough time to catch a taxi to town and catch another bus to Lusaka. How long is the journey from the town center to Lusaka? Don't fancy arriving at night. TQ

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
5 331 posts
615 reviews
266 helpful votes
3. Re: Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka

Buses in Zambia are no longer allowed to travel at night due to road safety rules.

Kapiri is a stop over for buses running from Kitwe, Ndola and Livingstone.

As a solo traveller, you will get a seat.

You cannot pre book at Kapiri but just wait for the next bus going to Lusaka.

Like anywhere these days, you'll always be at risk of a pick pocket but Zambia is generally safe.

If you arrive in the evening, you'll have to book a motel till next morning.

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
5 331 posts
615 reviews
266 helpful votes
4. Re: Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka

Sorry, I meant Kitwe, Ndola and Solwezi, not Livingstone.

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
5 331 posts
615 reviews
266 helpful votes
5. Re: Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka

Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka is about 3 hours on the bus.

Lusaka, Zambia
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
9 helpful votes
6. Re: Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka

Hello, You will catch one of the Long distance coaches from Kapiri to Lusaka. Do not use mini buses. They are unreliable and you will be frustrated. Just get to the main road and easily locate the bus station. You will choose from the next earliest bus, Preferably on this route, wait for either UBZ, Power Tools, Euro, Shalom or Likili buses.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
29 posts
7. Re: Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka

Thank you everyone, very helpful tips. Any idea if i can get a sim card anywhere near Kapiri Mposhi or near the bus stand where I catch the bus to Lusaka? TQ

Lusaka, Zambia
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
9 helpful votes
8. Re: Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka

Hai, from the main road, especially the area near the bus station, what is called "the town" area, you should be able to locate and Airtel or MTN shop to acquire this service. The shop agents are more reliable than the street booths. Of course there are some reliable ones, but for a visitor like you, it may not be possible to know who is who.

I wish you a positive and ,memorable stay in our beautiful and peaceful country, Zambia ♥️ 🇿🇲

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
5 331 posts
615 reviews
266 helpful votes
9. Re: Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka

Yes. You won't struggle to see the many shops and booths selling sim cars and talk time as they're everywhere.

Make sure that you have Kwacha on you.

Please let us know how your trip goes.

Lusaka, Zambia
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
9 helpful votes
10. Re: Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka

I can only agree more with Mukuma

Reply to: Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.