We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Zambia from Burundi -crossing Lake Tanganyika ?

6 posts
Ferry to Zambia from Burundi -crossing Lake Tanganyika ?

Hello, im planning an African trip that at this point finishish in Bujumbura I wanted to continue to northern Zambia and then to either Lusaka or Malawi, i tried to find more information about the ferry across the lake but up to this point only thing that i found is the fact that i does exist or that it did exist in the past,Please it would be so much help if anyone knows literally anything about it even like : How long does it take, will I as a tourist be able to board it, when it usally leaves from burundi if there even is any official schedule, where can i buy the tickets and how much it costs, or even if somone know where can o find out more about it in Bujumbura would be helpful if nothing more. I relize that there is option to take pretty long combinations of buses to cross tanzania so i am keeping it as option B, i pretty much want to avoid flying between these destinations. Again any help would be so much aprecieted Thank you

3 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
199 posts
1. Re: Ferry to Zambia from Burundi -crossing Lake Tanganyika ?

Following.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
6 236 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Ferry to Zambia from Burundi -crossing Lake Tanganyika ?

It's such a shame Lonely Planet took the Thorntree down, as this info would have been on there, although aged.

Marine Services Company run a ferry from Bujumbura to Kigoma and then Kigoma to Mpulungu via Kasanga. The latter might run once a week or once every two weeks. If your guide book isn't clear, try asking the social media overlanding groups (e.g. on Facebook) if anyone has done it recently.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3 226 posts
1 review
3. Re: Ferry to Zambia from Burundi -crossing Lake Tanganyika ?

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294186-i9962-k14696113-MV_Amani_Cruiser_Kalundu_Kalemie_Cargo_ship_Kalemie_Kigoma-Democratic_Republic_of_the_Cong.html#120196608

MV Amani Cruiser Kalundu-Kalemie, Cargo ship Kalemie-Kigoma

Reply to: Ferry to Zambia from Burundi -crossing Lake Tanganyika ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zambia
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.