We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South lwanga and drive to Malawi

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
333 posts
29 reviews
12 helpful votes
South lwanga and drive to Malawi

Hallo

I would like ina future trip to visit south luangwa national park in Zambia as well as lake Malawi

Is it possible to rent a car in Lusaka and drive with the car to make Malawi

Where are the best lodges to stay in south lwanga national park?

Need to book well in advance I suppose

Thx for your answer

Olivier

5 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
8 918 posts
1. Re: South lwanga and drive to Malawi

South Luangwa is on the way from Lusaka to Malawi, but it's a very long drive to SLNP from Lusaka (just about doable in one day). Then what do you intend to do with the car after Malawi, drive back? What about in SLNP? Do you want to self drive for game drives, or will the vehicle just sit at the lodge/camp while you do activities?

If your main aim is SLNP and Malawi, you might be best off starting in Lilongwe, it's an easier drive (3-4 hours I think) to SLNP, then back again but if you don't intend to self drive whilst there I question whether hiring a car makes sense. You can get road transfers.

Or you could start in Lusaka, fly to Mfuwe (Proflight) then road transfer to Lilongwe. I think you can also fly to Lilongwe.

There are many camps in SLNP, choice will depend on budget, time of year etc. Generally, I recommend at least 2 camps, one being away from the main area, but these tend to be more expensive. I like the north of the park where Robin Pope and Remote Africa have camps on the Nsefu side of the river, and Shentons, Lion Camp and Time and Tide are the main operators across the river.

If traveling solo, Robin Pope don't charge single supplements so are a good value option.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
333 posts
29 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: South lwanga and drive to Malawi

Thx a lot for your answer

Yes you are right

Not worth renting a car il Lusaka to leave the car for days in camps

Do you know maybe a reliable agent which organizes transfers from Lusaka to south luangwa continuing to Malawi after some days in South Luangwa ?

For the camps and game drives better to boll via an agent or directly with the camps

Thx once more for your answer

Olivier

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
8 918 posts
3. Re: South lwanga and drive to Malawi

Road transfers from Lusaka to South Luangwa aren't really a thing. People have looked into them in the past and found them more expensive than flying.

As I said, you should fly to Mfuwe, then you can road transfer onwards to Malawi. I'd probably get an agent to book everything including camps, they can advise based on your budget. I haven't used these guys but met the owner once in SLNP and he seemed to know his stuff- https://www.malawianstyle.com/about/team/. Or try an agent in Zambia like People and Places or Voyagers.

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
5 216 posts
600 reviews
265 helpful votes
4. Re: South lwanga and drive to Malawi

I very much doubt that you can hire a car in Lusaka to take to another country being Malawi.

World
Level Contributor
7 632 posts
621 reviews
261 helpful votes
5. Re: South lwanga and drive to Malawi

rent a car at malawi and drive up to SLNP and back. i dont think there is enough to capture one's attention in the lusaka - mfuwe route.

alternatively, fly to mfuwe and rent car there , then make your way down to malawi and rent another one

Reply to: South lwanga and drive to Malawi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zambia
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.