We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Conditions Lusaka to Mbika ?

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
18 helpful votes
Road Conditions Lusaka to Mbika ?
Save

Good day all! I am planning a trip up north to Mpulungu next year. Can someone please help with recent information on the road condition of the T2 from Lusaka to Mbika? Thanks in advance!

4 replies to this topic
Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
5 022 posts
596 reviews
265 helpful votes
1. Re: Road Conditions Lusaka to Mbika ?
Save

I'll assume it's Mpika?

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: Road Conditions Lusaka to Mbika ?
Save

Yes you are right it is MPIKA.

Lusaka, Zambia
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
3. Re: Road Conditions Lusaka to Mbika ?
Save

Hi Sabine, I was up there in October and went as far as ShiwaNgandu. The road between Lusaka and Kapiri Mposhi was being worked on but is still work in progress. The scraped off the ridges that formed in the middle and sides of the roads which was a challenge for lower cars because the bumpers would touch the road. Kapiri Mposhi to Serenje is generally okay. It’s got small potholes here and there but it’s nothing you wouldn’t miss. Serenje to Mpika is where the challenges start. The road is okay for about 35kms heading north. After that there’s several stretches of bad gravel road. Stretches of about 500m to about 1.5kms in intervals. The few pieces of tarmac you find are also potholed. It’s a very uncomfortable ride especially in non 4x4 vehicles. Definitely take a high vehicle. The trip now takes as long as 4 hours compared to the 2.5 hours it used to take back in the day. Secondly, gas up at Serenje because there’s no gas station in between.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
18 helpful votes
4. Re: Road Conditions Lusaka to Mbika ?
Save

Thank you very much for your detailed update. It helps me a lot. Yes we have a higher 4x4.

regards from Namibia

Reply to: Road Conditions Lusaka to Mbika ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zambia
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.