We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING to tourists traveling to Kruger

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2 086 posts
49 reviews
25 helpful votes
WARNING to tourists traveling to Kruger
Save

Hi everyone,

Just a quick message to let you all know that there are currently violent protests happening around the Kruger as many different communities are striking and blocking roads with burning types, trees, rocks and more. They are also stoning cars that are trying to get through, so please take care and read below;

Violent protests:

Guests travelling to/from the Kruger National Park, please take note that due to protest and picketing activities, the following roads are closed:

Road between Mkuhlu and Kruger Gate (R536). Alternative recommended route is Phabeni Gate.

Road between Bushbuckridge and Acornhoek (R40). Alternative route to Orpen is from north via the Strydom Tunnel and Klaserie.

Road between White River and Numbi Gate (R536). Alternative route to Numbi is via Hazyview (R40) or Phabeni Gate.

I will keep you all updated and let you know if the situation changes.

Warm regards

Jacqui

California
Level Contributor
785 posts
24 reviews
17 helpful votes
21. Re: WARNING to tourists traveling to Kruger
Save

I've done a search and been unable to find information about the strikes. Is there a website, news or otherwise, that discusses these strikes? I may just not know the local terms to search with. I'd be interested in better understanding the situation. This seems to be a long-term problem in the area around Hazyview.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
371 posts
309 reviews
139 helpful votes
22. Re: WARNING to tourists traveling to Kruger
Save

Hi

I appreciate that this relates to an original post last year but as we're in Kruger next week I wondered whether there is any current information. We plan to arrive from Nelspruit on the N4 to Malelane Gate, and leave via Orpen gate and the 531/40 through Hazyview to Sabie. Are there any reasons to change this plan? Many thanks.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
10 143 posts
275 reviews
790 helpful votes
23. Re: WARNING to tourists traveling to Kruger
Save

This is the link to the Sanparks KNP forum.

They have a topic monitoring the Numbi Gate:

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=67&t=84343

This might be a good place to ask for updates

California
Level Contributor
785 posts
24 reviews
17 helpful votes
24. Re: WARNING to tourists traveling to Kruger
Save

I did some more looking around and found the Hazyview Herald. It has information on this and other topics such as vehicle remote control blocking and other crime information.

Here is an article from last week on the Numbi Gate closure.

http://hazyviewherald.co.za/161200/traffic-moving-slowly-on-r538-due-to-protest-action/

And here is the article about the closure of the Phabeni and Paul Kruger Gates. It gives some of the reasons the people are protesting.

http://hazyviewherald.co.za/161078/protesters-cut-down-tree-to-block-road/

Here is a quote listing some of the basic issues:

"In a press release sent out by the DA on Friday, the party said that they acknowledge the frustrations of Hazyview residents regarding the high level of crime and lack of basic amenities like water, electricity and housing, but urged them to consider the effects of protests on other residents."

The article said they are requesting that the mayor urgently address the issues. Apparently there is a pattern of not adequately addressing the issues showing part of the reason I have been reading about unrest for quite a long time.

I found other articles about protests like the Punda Maria gate closure and previous closures including some information on the issues being protested.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
371 posts
309 reviews
139 helpful votes
25. Re: WARNING to tourists traveling to Kruger
Save

Thanks for the link. It appears to be quiet at the moment according to Sanparks. I just wondered whether there was any local advice about best gates to use at the moment

26. Re: WARNING to tourists traveling to Kruger

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2016, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about South Africa
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.