We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TourMobile - a narrated taxi service??

Panama City, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
TourMobile - a narrated taxi service??
Save

I've done a lot of research, got my maps out, know some history now, but I'd like to have a narrator as we pass by important and not so important buildings, etc... Also, my intent is to use the tour as a bit of a taxi service as well, to save our feet and/or back. Of all of the options that seem available: Old Town Trolley, GreyLine, OnBoard Tours, etc... - TourMobile seems the most flexible (especially given the entrance into and ride around Arlington) with independence and narration.

Has anyone used TourMobile and could they be used for my purposes described above?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21 689 posts
45 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: TourMobile - a narrated taxi service??
Save

TourMobile is not a taxi service. It is a hop-on, hop-off bus much like the others, but with a more limited route restricted to downtown,. They are the only company doing a tour inside Arlington Cemetery on a separate route. It can save you feet, but at a fairly high cost. And there are complaints about long waits for a bus with available seats. If you just ride the entire route first you will hear a lot of the history, then get off to see one of the sights.

Panama City, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: TourMobile - a narrated taxi service??
Save

Sorry, I didn't mean literally a "taxi service", more about the functionality of the service. Is there a HOHO that can be better used for this purpose? I've done a lot of reading and research, but my husband hasn't. I'm torn between just using the Metro and landing at our destination and a HOHO. I know I'm not up to tour guide level, so we'd miss a lot of details if we bypass a tour of some type, but our days are SO packed (Fri - Tue) I don't know when to fit it in??

I did just think of the obvious: a night tour when the tour isn't competing with the day time openings. Is there any consensus to the best evening tour, reasonably priced?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21 689 posts
45 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: TourMobile - a narrated taxi service??
Save

I don't think there is any consensus as to the "best" evening monument tour. Not many people have taken more than one. And with a few exceptions, everyone seems to enjoy the one they take. There is a bit of difference as to which memorials they visit, but I do not know the details.

Arizona
Level Contributor
5 560 posts
52 reviews
46 helpful votes
4. Re: TourMobile - a narrated taxi service??
Save

We were in DC this past month and used the Tourmobile for the one day tour through DC and Arlington. We enjoyed the tourguide's commentary quite a bit and appreciated having someone to answer questions since this was our first visit to DC. We disembarked at all the Arlington stops (Kennedy gravesite, Tomb of the Unknowns, Arlington House) and then the Lincoln Memorial (to also see the Korean War Memorial and grab a hot dog at the concession stand). We were gone from 10:00AM to 4:00PM and rode the entire circuit back to the Union Station where we picked up the Metro back to our hotel. The pick ups are about 20-25 minutes apart so we did have a bit of a wait at Lincoln, but they were on time and there was room in the tram.

The next day, since we had some orientation, we used the Metro to get around and see the museums and the White House. We had a good map and good walking shoes, a good dose of patience for long lines and crowds and did just fine.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
123 posts
133 reviews
92 helpful votes
5. Re: TourMobile - a narrated taxi service??
Save

I think Tourmobile will suit your needs perfectly.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 658 posts
19 reviews
66 helpful votes
6. Re: TourMobile - a narrated taxi service??
Save

I was impressed with the quality of guides and narration when I rode Old Town Trolley's loops. I picked Old Town Trolley because it covers the most territory; compare its map with, e.g., that of the Tourmobile:

http://www.trolleytours.com/washington-dc/washington-dc-map.html

http://www.tourmobile.com/tours_map.php

OTT can deliver you to the Visitor Center at Arlington Cemetery, but Tourmobile is the only company authorized to carry you farther into/around the Cemetery. FYI, you can buy tix for just that section of Tourmobile's route if you like, whether you arrive at Arlington Cemetery via another tour bus company, by driving your own car, or riding the Metrorail.

http://www.tourmobile.com/tours_arlington.php

As for evening tours, I think OnBoard has the best itinerary, but it is the most expensive of the twilight-after dark tours, and I've not seen any discounts for it in quite some time.

http://www.onboarddctours.com/dc-the-lights-tour/

Level Contributor
43 826 posts
1 000 reviews
1 701 helpful votes
7. Re: TourMobile - a narrated taxi service??
Save

i highly recommend the Tourmobile to get around Arlington, even if you don't use it for the rest of your trip. I hope you have a wonderful time in this amazing city, my son is visiting for the first time right now and is so excited to be there! :)

8. Re: TourMobile - a narrated taxi service??

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2010, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Washington DC
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.