We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SLR Camera in Museums

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
227 posts
19 reviews
19 helpful votes
SLR Camera in Museums
Save

My husband wants to take his SLR camera with us on vacation. The problem is, he plans on taking it everywhere with him and does not want to leave it at the hotel unless we are there. I'm concerned that some of the museums won't let us in if he's carrying an SLR camera. These are the places I'm worried about:

Library of Congress

Museum of American History

Museum of Natural History

US Holocaust Museum

National Archives

National Cathedral

Do you know if we will be able to get in even if we are taking an SLR camera?

Edited: 11 years ago
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10 740 posts
1. Re: SLR Camera in Museums
Save

What is an SLR camera?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21 689 posts
45 reviews
21 helpful votes
2. Re: SLR Camera in Museums
Save

Very few, if any, of the public tourist buildings in DC do not allow cameras. Certain exhibits may not allow photography. Others do not allow flash photography, but otherwise it is OK. What is almost always NOT allowed is a tripod.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 416 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: SLR Camera in Museums
Save

I am not aware of an SLR restriction at any of the places you mention, although I have not visited all of them recently. You may be restricted from taking photos at certain places within those museums, but the SLR shouldn't not present any problem different from a normal camera, and cameras are allowed almost everywhere in DC.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 158 posts
51 reviews
223 helpful votes
4. Re: SLR Camera in Museums
Save

The only exception I'm aware of is at sporting events, and near some of the secure sites like the world bank.

For sporting events, it isn't so much the camera as the lens; walk in with anything long and/or white and they may refuse you admission -- they don't want people competing with the wire service photogs.

For secure areas, again if you point a longer lens at a secure building or more importantly the people guarding it, sometimes they can get a bit twitchy. Common sense should avoid any problems on that front. Museums and tourist sites, including taking photographs of the Capitol and White House from outside the Capitol and White House, should present no problems.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
227 posts
19 reviews
19 helpful votes
5. Re: SLR Camera in Museums
Save

I assumed taking pictures outside of the White House and Capitol and such would be alright, my concern is getting inside the museums with a camera. We don't plan on taking any pictures inside, but I don't want to have to miss out on some of the museums because of a camera, ya know? :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21 689 posts
45 reviews
21 helpful votes
6. Re: SLR Camera in Museums
Save

The thing is that with the exception of some special exhibits, the things in the Smithsonian museums belong to the American people. Unless there is a fear of damage because of the flash, photography is allowed. You will see some people taking pictures of almost everything. It can be quite annoying for the other visitors sometimes.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: SLR Camera in Museums
Save

You won't have a problem in any of the locations you mentioned with the exception of the Holocaust Museum, which does not allow photography. The Holocaust Museum has a coat check where he may have to leave his camera bag.

In the other places, as long as your husband knows how to use the "No Flash" setting on his particular model you should be ok. In some places they're a lot more sensitive about Flash than in others (National Archives is very strict about it).

vjpblovesitaly- an SLR camera is the type with a detachable lens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_single-lens_reflex_camera

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
227 posts
19 reviews
19 helpful votes
8. Re: SLR Camera in Museums
Save

Thank you so much for your help everyone! This will be good news for the hubster!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
227 posts
19 reviews
19 helpful votes
9. Re: SLR Camera in Museums
Save

ketabby, I decided to call US Holocaust Museum based on your post. They said we can bring the camera in, we just can't take pictures. Thank you for your help! Hopefully if any other DC visitors have questions about where they can take cameras, this will help. :)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: SLR Camera in Museums
Save

Oh, that's good to know. I went during the wintertime, so maybe they directed me to the coat check by default because I might as well have left my camera there in the first place.

It'd probably be some kind of disrespectful to be photographing things in the Holocaust Museum anyway.

Get answers to your questions about Washington DC
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.