We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

still wondering

kennebunk,me
5 posts
still wondering
Save

what areas are safe to stay in for hotels in Maryland/Virginia that are relatively close to DC or a metro..

We are driving in, so i've heard that we'd be able to park at the metro and that would work out better.. i just don't want to stay in any sketchy areas.. what do u recommend?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12 293 posts
122 reviews
338 helpful votes
1. Re: still wondering
Save

In Virginia, look into staying in Arlington (the Crystal City area, near Ballston or Rosslyn). If you are staying near a Metro station, you won't have to worry about parking your car at the station, you could just leave it at the hotel. Some people have stayed in Bethesda, MD near the Metro station. Another possibility--Alexandria, VA or Springfield, VA--there are hotels near Metro there. You could go even further out--there are hotels that offer free shuttles to the nearest Metro station. However, you could find that it will take longer to get into the District. My advice? If you are here during the week, you don't want to have to drive to a Metro station. There is a fee to park during the week and the lots and garages fill up very early.

kennebunk,me
5 posts
2. Re: still wondering
Save

would greenbelt maryland be an ok option????

There are some pretty cheap hotels there such as Hilton Garden inn for about 130/night

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12 293 posts
122 reviews
338 helpful votes
3. Re: still wondering
Save

If they offer a free shuttle to the Metro station then, yes, it would be a good option. BTW, have you tried entering your dates into www.quikbook.com to see what comes up?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 242 posts
51 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: still wondering
Save

$130/night in Greenbelt vs. how much elsewhere? Personally, I don't think a long commute is really worth it for a few dollars savings, but for $50/night, maybe...

Get answers to your questions about Washington DC
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.