We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip from NYC

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
210 posts
49 reviews
8 helpful votes
Trip from NYC
Save

I am thinking about taking a train trip to DC in the week between Christmas and New Years. Would a lot of the attractions be open? Is 6-7 days too much for DC? The history buff in me thinks it won’t but I thought maybe adding another city might help. Thoughts and suggestions? Thanks

8 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
2 713 posts
1. Re: Trip from NYC
Save

Smithsonians are closed Christmas. Other days, not all are open every day. Check their websites to plan out what days you can see the ones you want.

Springfield...
Destination Expert
for Fairfax, Washington DC, Alexandria, Williamsburg
Level Contributor
3 130 posts
354 reviews
223 helpful votes
2. Re: Trip from NYC
Save

I think you can easily find enough to keep you buy for six or seven days. It all depends on the pace you want to set for yourself. Some people power through all the museums on the Mall in a day, dashing through to see the highlights. Others proceed more leisurely and soak things in. Also, if you're here in DC, it's easy to take a side trip to Alexandria, which is a lovely historic city, and take a day trip to George Washington's Mount Vernon.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
2 611 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Trip from NYC
Save

Old Town Alexandria will be beautifully decorated for Christmas and is easy to access via Metro. It's quite a different scene than DC. Fireworks are scheduled for midnight New Year's Eve. You can view them from the waterfront. There are also ticketed events. You could enjoy a stroll, then have dinner and/or visit a pub and stay overnight.

https://firstnightalexandria.org/

Philadelphia is also a great city on the Amtrak route.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
210 posts
49 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Trip from NYC
Save

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m trying to stay in DC so don’t have to rely much on public transportation— thinking Moxy Hotel

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
210 posts
49 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: Trip from NYC
Save

Trying to decide between Moxy and Courtyard By Marriott at Convention. Any suggestions/guidance?

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
4 059 posts
31 reviews
13 helpful votes
6. Re: Trip from NYC
Save

Are you picking those two because of price or because of their location? Or you want to use up Marrriott points?

Personally, they are both a little far to walk to the mall and dining places for me. It can be done if you willing to walk further, just there are more convenient locations than L street and K Street, if you are walking to the Mall every day. There is a Fairfield Inn on H Street, and there is the Marriott Metro Center if you want to stay with the Marriott group properties. There is also the JW Marriott if you want to go higher in price and category.

Edited: 02 December 2021, 13:08
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
210 posts
49 reviews
8 helpful votes
7. Re: Trip from NYC
Save

I am trying to stay within less than $100/night. Another choice within that price range is ARC near the Watergate Complex

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
4 059 posts
31 reviews
13 helpful votes
8. Re: Trip from NYC
Save

That budget is very low for DC during normal times, but we are not living in normal times so you do not have a few choices in that range.

I think the Fairfield Inn on H Street is quoting less than $100 for some dates in late December. You may want to check the rates for your dates. The benefit of that Fairfield Inn is it is closer to the Mall, and more restaurants to pick from at night.

Reply to: Trip from NYC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Washington DC
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.