We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips on visiting Glenstone

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 321 posts
1 193 reviews
345 helpful votes
Tips on visiting Glenstone
Save

I have not been to Glenstone. I am checking the website to see if December dates open up. Any advice on visiting this attraction? Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
304 posts
1. Re: Tips on visiting Glenstone
Save

December tickets were all released on October 1 and probably went within a few hours. The odds of any additional slots opening are slim; since the tickets are free, most people who decide not to go just no-show instead of canceling. There's no real secret other than being ready two months in advance.

They do offer guaranteed entrance if you arrive via public bus (Ride-On Route 301) instead of via car. If you're dead set on going, that's probably your best option.

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 135 posts
2. Re: Tips on visiting Glenstone
Save

You also get guaranteed entrance if you arrive with a student with a valid student ID ( they can bring one adult each).

Additionally, if you show up there and walk-in , they will let you in if they are not at capacity. Last time I was there, I asked how often this happens, and they said "Practically Everyone" who shows up there is able to get in, probably because the no-show rate is high. You can call ahead whenever you plan to go to be sure they'll let you I that day though.

Lastly, glenstone is awesome, enjoy!

Edited: 15 November 2021, 04:59
washington dc
Level Contributor
5 512 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Tips on visiting Glenstone
Save

Tickets do get returned, and people do fail to show up, so you are highly likely to get in, especially in December, especially on a weekday. You might have trouble on a beautiful sunny warm weekend day, but even then it would probably be only a bit of a wait. They actually WANT people to enjoy this place.

Start by walking the outside. This takes 30-60 min. and is not wheelchair accessible. If you are really interested in the artists, buy the guidebook in the giftshop.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
4 758 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Tips on visiting Glenstone
Save

Dress for the weather because a ton of the super notable stuff is all outside. I went in early april (2019)on a cloudy day and was still amazed by everything.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 321 posts
1 193 reviews
345 helpful votes
5. Re: Tips on visiting Glenstone
Save

Wonderful advice, everyone! Thanks.

washington dc
Level Contributor
5 512 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Tips on visiting Glenstone
Save

Also, the gorgeous landscape of naturalized meadows, does not offer much shade, so you will want sunglasses or a brimmed hat.

Silver Spring...
4 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
7. Re: Tips on visiting Glenstone
Save

Agree with previous post that people DO cancel non-used tickets in advance. Take a look a couple of times a day between now and when you need them (Glenstone's ticket reservation system makes it easy and fast to cancel tickets-I do this all the time when I am not using them).

Reply to: Tips on visiting Glenstone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Washington DC
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.