We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do?

Keller, Texas
7 posts
What to do?
Save

I am in the middle of planning a family trip to DC towards the end of April. There are 8 people in our group including four kids under 10 years of age. The plan is to fly into Reagan and stay at Club Wyndham National Harbor. From what I gather, DC has great public transportation, but transportation to National Harbor is not ideal.

We plan to stay for five days and four nights. In a perfect world, we would use public transportation the whole time, but I don't know how feasible that will be for us. I don't want to rent a car and haul car seats through the airport, but should I trash the public transportation idea and rent a car?

DC
Level Contributor
2 876 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
1. Re: What to do?
Save

I'd recommend trashing the National Harbor idea and staying in DC. You'll save lots of time and money on transport for eight people. You'll also be able to return to your hotel for a break and go back, which you won't want to do from National Harbor.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
4 741 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: What to do?
Save

The reason National Harbor is cheap is because its just not that convenient to anyone trying to visit anyplace but national harbor.

Parking in downtown DC is about $25 a day depending on where you park. And its likely that even if you park you'll still use public transportation a little bit to get between sites. So add that to the cost of a rental car (oh and you pay to park in National Harbor as well) and compare that with total hotel rates in an area closer to a metro station. You can then go with whatever is cheaper but I think that calculation is a better gauge of the true cost of staying in National Harbor.

Clairton...
Level Contributor
2 300 posts
21 reviews
32 helpful votes
3. Re: What to do?
Save

With smaller children, you do not want to be that far away in case they begin to tire and need to rest for a while. The walking in DC is extensive, and I wouldn't want to have to deal with even one exhausted child (or more) getting back to National Harbor.

The car idea is not a good one. With eight people and kids in car seats, you will need two cars.

If downtown hotels are beyond your budget, look at Crystal City or Alexandria. Still a Metro ride away, but much easier to get back to.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: What to do?
Save

If you need to stay in National Harbor you can also consider the local water taxi that will take you to The Wharf in DC. Probably more expensive than most other options, especially for a largish group, but would also probably be more fun.

https://www.potomacriverboatco.com/water-taxi/wharf/

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: What to do?
Save

I agree with all the other posters- staying in National Harbor makes very little sense if you’re trying to sightsee in DC.

If you post your budget and room configuration requirements I’m sure that the TA hive mind can find you something reasonable that’s much more conveniently located!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
7 806 posts
67 reviews
65 helpful votes
6. Re: What to do?
Save

I don't know what Club WYndham is but I suspect this is one of those timeshare things where people are forced to stay in bad locations because they pay high fees to belong to it or something.

I notice on their webpage they have ceased the free shuttle service to Old Town metro. How nice of them.

If this isn't a place you are forced to stay in for some reason, I'd get out of there also. The only reason I can ever see anyone staying there is when they have to due to some company business conference or they are mainly going just for a day or two to attend some concert going on there.

Keller, Texas
7 posts
7. Re: What to do?
Save

Our stay at this hotel is being provided by another family member that is part of the Wyndham timeshare deal. So far with hotel and airline tickets, I’d be $0 out of pocket.

Trying to determine if the long trip into DC will be worth it since it’s almost a free trip

Virginia
Level Contributor
952 posts
32 reviews
16 helpful votes
8. Re: What to do?
Save

Since your trip is costing you pretty much nothing, I’d go with the water taxi suggested above and visit DC a few days of your trip.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
75 035 posts
49 reviews
112 helpful votes
9. Re: What to do?
Save

I agree. With the factor of zero lodging costs, the

“ pain “ of the commute is not a big deal.

Keller, Texas
7 posts
10. Re: What to do?
Save

Here's my other question...

What's the best way to get from Reagan to the hotel if we don't take car seats?

Get answers to your questions about Washington DC
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.