We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GOR end of April 2020

Merimbula, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
30 reviews
13 helpful votes
GOR end of April 2020
Save

Hello!

My husband, son and I are planning a weeks holiday in Victoria. I am unsure of how much time we need to visit each location we have selected. We are coming from the far south coast of NSW and will be travelling by car, possibly stopping in Lakes Entrance or Bairnsdale on the way down and back to help with fatigue.

My tentative plan is as follows:

23/4 - Travel Merimbula - Lakes/Bairnsdale stop for the night

24/4 - Travel to Melbourne - want to catch the Melb v Richmond game at MCG that night

25/4 - Melbourne day

26/4 - Travel towards GOR - possibly stopping at Lorne or Apollo Bay

27/4 - Travel to Port Campbell

28/4 - Travel to Warrnambool

29/4 - Travel to Ballarat

30/4 - Ballarat

1/5 - Ballarat to Bairnsdale/Lakes Entrance

2/5 - Travel to Merimbula

My husband feels it is too much driving and changing accommodation each night and thought it might be best to stop in one place along the GOR for the 2-3 nights. I feel its best to keep moving otherwise we might be backtracking.

I really want to include a couple of days in Ballarat as lived there for a short time (6mths) back in the late 1990's and really want to show my family the sights, i think its a great country Victorian city to explore! But if there is something along the GOR that we might miss we can drop Ballarat off the plans for this trip.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to tackle the GOR?

Thank you!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 231 posts
28 reviews
32 helpful votes
1. Re: GOR end of April 2020
Save

The distances along the GOR are not all that great The time you spend is from stopping and exploring the attractions.

The town that has the most to do in is Lorne. You could spend a couple of days there or Warrnambool before heading to Ballarat

Level Contributor
682 posts
Tripadvisor Staff  
2. Re: GOR end of April 2020
Save

Hi HowleyTravels,

I see you have posted the same topic twice, so I am closing this thread.

You may continue the discussion here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/ShowTopic-g2269364-i24147-k13206731-GOR_at_end_of_April_2020-Great_Ocean_Road_Victoria.html

Veynard

TripAdvisor Community Moderator

Get answers to your questions about Apollo Bay
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.