We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kirkenes to Ivalo

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
27 helpful votes
Kirkenes to Ivalo
Save

Does anyone know if there are any new options regarding travel from Kirkenes to Ivalo in Finland? Still can only seem to find the taxi service that takes up to 4 persons for approx $600AUD?

It appears also there is a bus service that takes 10 hours?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Travel date is mid september 2019. Arriving with Hurtigruten into Kirkenes at 0900.

Many thanks

16 replies to this topic
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
21 722 posts
108 reviews
79 helpful votes
1. Re: Kirkenes to Ivalo
Save

Do you need to go there or can you change plans?

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
27 helpful votes
2. Re: Kirkenes to Ivalo
Save

Not me travelling. Inquiring on behalf of others who have booked! However your question doeesn't inspire confidence!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
40 904 posts
38 reviews
36 helpful votes
3. Re: Kirkenes to Ivalo
Save

I think you have found the two possible cross border options. 10 hours on the bus reflects the distances involved. Have you checked flights ?

Seattle
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Kirkenes to Ivalo
Save

Last July I did this option, after disembarking from the Hurtigruten ship. I researched extensively and the very costly Pasvikturist shuttle bus was the only viable option. (It was more expensive than some of my flights!) It took about 3 hours with a stop mid-way for bathroom and snacks to Inari. All the others who disembarked were heading to the airport.

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
27 helpful votes
5. Re: Kirkenes to Ivalo
Save

Thanks for confirming my suspicions! Will pass that very helpful info on

Cheers!

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
6. Re: Kirkenes to Ivalo
Save

Is it a nice trip. I am looking to take a group from Kirkenes to Ivalo and then stop for two nights in Rovaniemi in Sep 2020

USA
Level Contributor
274 posts
97 reviews
66 helpful votes
7. Re: Kirkenes to Ivalo
Save

Glad I saw this. I might change my plans. Not cheap!

Unless you drive

https://pasvikturist.no/finlandinfo/transfer-to-finland/

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Kirkenes/Ivalo

Edited: 07 June 2021, 19:55
Klofta, Norway
Level Contributor
816 posts
9 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Kirkenes to Ivalo
Save

it is cheaper via Murmansk: book a seat in one of the many russian mini-vans (marshrutki) departing from airport or from downtown. In Murmansk there are a diversity of transportation from full size buses, mini-vans and ad hoc arranged groups to Rovaniemi via Ivalo and Södankyla. you get down in Ivalo.

https://goo.gl/maps/u8JmqQaR42x2kwHt6

not shorter than by bus via Tromsø though, unless shared car rides, which are very popular in Russia (blablacar app) and possible same day without overnight in Murmansk only with early departure from Kirkenes (time at border crossing and russian timezone is one hour ahead in summer). If you arrange car rides in advance, it can be very fast. Must compute in fee of russian e-visa. Practicalities must be checked beforehand too, mainly the border crossing at Lotta/Raja-Joseppi which is sometimes only for finns and russians, othertimes international. And of course not doable this summer nor autumn because covid restrictions.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
6 992 posts
14 reviews
9 helpful votes
9. Re: Kirkenes to Ivalo
Save

Cheaper, but a longer ride, it to take the local bus from Kirkenes via Tana Bru to Karasjok, and then take the Finnish bus to Ivalo, runs both in summer and winter... the local bus from Tromsø to Haparanda, runs only in summer...

Another cross border winter transfer in the north, which gets more routes is The Arctic Route, https://www.thearcticroute.com/arctic-routes/

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
90 reviews
33 helpful votes
10. Re: Kirkenes to Ivalo
Save

Would you be able to share how much the fare was? Thank you.

Reply to: Kirkenes to Ivalo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kirkenes
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.