We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night in Doolin - Good Friday 2019

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
1 night in Doolin - Good Friday 2019

Hi everyone!

Me and my husband are planning a 4 day trip to Ireland in Easter 2019. We are in our early 30s, love nature and besides exploring Dublin we wanted to experience Irish rural villages and its beautiful scenery, so we chose Cliff of Mohen/Doolin on the western side :)

We are originally from Brazil but living for 1 year in the UK.

Our flight arrives in Shannon on Friday 19/04/10, 10:30am, and we have 1 day to explore the region, as we plan to drive to Dublin the next day (20/04).

Our plan is hire a car, have lunch in Ennis and go straight to Cliff of Moher, and then sleep in Doolin.

1) Before booking accommodation in Doolin, I would like to know if in Good Friday we will find pubs/restaurants open, and even better, with live music?

Otherwise we could sleep in Galway.

I also learned about Doolin Music House here in TA and it seems like an amazing experience. I wrote to them asking if they will be having session in Good Friday but if anyone here already knows the answer :) Anyways, if yes, would you recommend that for someone who will have only one night in Doolin? Is it feasible to attend the session and then go have dinner at a pub?

2) About Cliff of Moher:

As we won't be able to do the Pat tour, because we have only the afternoon to explore the Cliffs and the tour is only mornings, and considering that we will have a car, I am trying to figure what is the best plan.

I read in a hiking blog (https://www.earthtrekkers.com/walking-cliffs-of-moher-doolin-hags-head/ ) that the southern part is more dramatic. But I am not sure of the logistics. In the blog it says:

"It can be a little tricky to find parking to access the southern portion of the Cliff walk. Most roads are unnamed here. From the Visitor Center, drive south on R478 to St Bridget’s Well, and then follow signs to the Cliffs of Moher parking. If you continue up the road, there is a family that runs a car park from their yard. For a few euros, park here for the closest access to the Cliff trail. But get here early, spots are limited."

I'm thinking we can go straight from Ennis to the southern parking lot at the Cliff as mentioned in the blog (we will be travelling with appropriate hiking shoes/clothes) and start from Hags Head and walk only the southern part, but I would like to hear your thoughts. Is there a bus to go back to the car from Visitor Center, or would we need to walk back?

Obrigada! (thank you - in Portuguese) :)

3 replies to this topic
ireland
Level Contributor
52 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: 1 night in Doolin - Good Friday 2019

I have walked the cliffs numerous times and find the Doolin side much nicer than the Hags Head side. If you are staying in Doolin overnight you would be able to leave your car at your accommodation and walk the Doolin side for as far as you wish, and return the same way. The weather in April could be good or bad (this year was fantastic) so if it's wet, be a little more careful. You will find the starting point in Doolin easily if you ask somebody. As you near the O'Briens Tower part of the walk (roughly halfway along the whole route) be careful to follow the more inland path as the 'unofficial' edge is dangerous. I am a nervous walker but if you stick to the track you will be fine. I hope the weather is good for you. May I personally recommend the Market Bar & Restaurant in Ennis for lunch, it's lovely.

Doolin, Ireland
Level Contributor
37 posts
2. Re: 1 night in Doolin - Good Friday 2019

Angelhair has given you good information on the Cliff walk.

All pubs in Doolin will have music on good friday night.

Most likely the Doolin Music House will be open and its is a great experience, however you would need to book a place. The music house runs from 7:00 to about 8:30 ish. Music in the pubs starts from 7:30 and runs to well after 11:00 so it is feasible to do both.

Have a great trip.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
31 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: 1 night in Doolin - Good Friday 2019

We wanted to explore along the southern end of the Cliffs when we were there, but due to timing and transportation, we couldn't get down to Brigid's Well or Hag's Head. There's not a lot along the road but pasture and cows, so finding the parking isn't an issue, it's that you'll have to walk back to your car.

Reply to: 1 night in Doolin - Good Friday 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Doolin