We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report, part 1: Doolin

Level Contributor
48 posts
39 reviews
Trip report, part 1: Doolin

First, i want to thank those who answered my questions in this Forum.

Our flight to Boston was cancelled for maintenance issues, so we missed our flight to Shannon. We arrived there a day late, causing a rework of my schedule.

Banged my tire in a rut, then hit a curb, resulting in a flat tire by the time I reached the B&B.

We spent 3 nights at a great B&B, the Sea View House. The owners helped us with so many issues.

Arrived in Doolin at 8 a.m., and made it to Ailwee Caves for a booked Hawk Walk at 1 p.m. Loved the Walk, and the bird demonstration later. I wasn't enamored with Cork Screw Hill . . .

Drove to Monk's in Ballyvaughn, then down the coastal road back to Doolin. It was after this when my friend said she wasn't going in the car with me anymore . . . Beautiful drive that neither of us got to see.

That same night we had booked for the Doolin Music House, which was a neat experience. It was touching to hear the history of music in County Clare from one who had a part in it.

We walked a small portion of the cliff walk the next day (neither of us were in shape to do to much). Shopped (bought the obligatory Aran sweaters). Took it easy. That evening she let me drive her to the Cliff's visitor center, where we spent an hour stunned at the views.

Following day was a boat trip to Inis Orr, did the pony and cart guided tour. Ate at Ned's. Shopped. The ferry took us out under the cliffs after that, which was great! Stopped at Gus O'Conners for the early Sunday music session.

Most meals were at the Ivy Cottage or Gus O'Conners. Loved them both, but especially Ivy Cottage.

Because of the lost day, and my inability to immediately grasp the concept of driving on the left, we did not explore the ancient sites on 480. But we did get to see a lot of nuns and priests (Father Ted Festival). I loved Doolin, but not the roads around it. It maybe should have been my last stop, after gaining more experience.

Next we drove to Killarney (using mostly N and M roads, lol). Next installment will be in the Killarney forum.

3 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
22 507 posts
293 reviews
1. Re: Trip report, part 1: Doolin

Thanks, Jake

Most enjoyable read... Father Ted festival, I would of loved that....

Regarding the tyre... You aren't the first nor the last.. fairly common occurrence.

Kesh_grammy

Level Contributor
48 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: Trip report, part 1: Doolin

yes, we heard stories about tyres . . . The B&B host called a tyre guy, who came and put the donut on, took our wheel, ordered a new tyre, came and put it on, without us ever seeing him. I would have been lost without our host.

Level Contributor
48 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Trip report, part 1: Doolin

for anyone interested, part 2 is under Killarney forum, part 3 is under Dingle forum.

Reply to: Trip report, part 1: Doolin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Doolin