We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking water and fresh vegetables

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
Drinking water and fresh vegetables

We are coming to stay in Coral Bay next week. After hearing about the Chikungunya virus I read the CDC fact sheet and it also recommends avoiding fresh fruits and vegetables and drinking bottled water. Is this a big worry?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3 355 posts
26 reviews
17 helpful votes
1. Re: Drinking water and fresh vegetables

We generally drink from gallons of "St. John Water" unless the villa has special filtration As for fresh veggies, we eat what we can find. Josephine's, in the Coral Bay Garden Center down the valley road past Love City Mini Market, is the fresh local veg/herb hookup.

Cheers, RickG

Syracuse
Level Contributor
520 posts
82 reviews
56 helpful votes
2. Re: Drinking water and fresh vegetables

Here is the CDC fact sheet: cdc.gov/chikungunya/…20Public_cleared.pdf

I don't see anything about not drinking the water or eating the vegetables.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 231 posts
52 reviews
26 helpful votes
3. Re: Drinking water and fresh vegetables

Maybe things have changed since we were there last time but if you are on vacation, it might not even be worth buying veggies locally. I always find that the quality, particularly in the small markets on the Coral Bay side, is dismal so I spend a week either filling up on them in restaurants or just resorting to wine- wait, that's a fruit substitute. Oh well. LOL

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16 697 posts
22 reviews
32 helpful votes
4. Re: Drinking water and fresh vegetables

"I don't see anything about not drinking the water or eating the vegetables."

I agree. I have no idea where that sort of information is coming from as there has never been any correlation between chikungunya and consuming local water/fruits/vegetables. Neither is it contagious. To contract it you have to be bitten by the particular genus of mosquito which carries the virus.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Drinking water and fresh vegetables

I am sorry, I was not linking it to Chikungunya. I meant that because of that, I went to read about the travel recommendations I also saw this info:

Eat

Fruits and vegetables you have washed in clean water or peeled yourself

Don't Eat

Unwashed or unpeeled raw fruits and vegetables

Drink

Bottled water that is sealed

Water that has been disinfected

Don’t Drink

Tap or well water

Ice made with tap or well water

Drinks made with tap or well water (such as reconstituted juice)

So my question is whether you find this to be true? Do we need to avoid salads and unfiltered water? Is unfiltered water even common at local restaurants?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
17 helpful votes
6. Re: Drinking water and fresh vegetables

I was unsure about the water issue too as the website information is confusing... We are just buying gallons to have to be safe. It sounds like the precautions for produce are the same you would normally take anywhere.

Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
82 posts
7. Re: Drinking water and fresh vegetables

You're missing out on what STJ has to offer if you shy away from trying anything new.

Go to Coral Bay Garden Center, as noted above, for lots of organic fresh fruits and veggies. Stop by the small farmer from STT who puts out tables pretty regularly in front of Connections in Cruz Bay. Their fruits and veggies are probably far better for you than the chemically-laden "apples" that somehow don't change shape or color after a month in shipping and sitting in your local grocery. Get some combination of what they have to offer that you haven't had before - some soursops, sugar apples, starfruit, papaya, fresh sugarcane, [and castinel and cashews and mace and bundles of herbs, and and and.....]. They were picked in the last couple of days, just a few miles from where you'll eat them.

Seek out something other than burgers and fries on the menus. [Note: you may need to go beyond the heavily-advertised typical restaurants to do this!] De Coal Pot, Hercules, Ettas, find them! Order curried goat, or a roti, or saltfish.

Water is easy enough to ask for bottled everywhere, but it'd be a shame not to have a few painkillers due to being scared of ice. Most restaurants have some level of filtration, if not full purification - as town water does have a particular taste and color.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3 355 posts
26 reviews
17 helpful votes
8. Re: Drinking water and fresh vegetables

In 38 trips, we've never had a problem in the USVI. We always order tap water in restaurants when given a choice. We buy gallon water for convenience before we hit the villa. If we're staying somewhere where we trust the tap water then we drink that. Some villas do not change the water filters frequently enough and I'm not a fan of drink water filtered through an algae laden filter. Its easy enough to check the filters and I ask the villa greeter to show me the electrical panel and water pump since some water pumps may need to be reset after a power outage.

Josephine's in Coral Bay grows their own organic produce. Not cheap, but its nice to pick up greens, chilis and lemongrass for some kitchen fun.

Cheers, RickG

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16 697 posts
22 reviews
32 helpful votes
9. Re: Drinking water and fresh vegetables

For the umpteenth time (generalization necessary as I've run out of my and all my friends' representative fingers and toes), I've lived here for over 30 years and have never become sick from drinking tap/cistern water and eating fruit right off the trees, veggies right out of the ground and have likewise never heard of anyone - visitors or locals - sickened by it. Fish I'm a little leery about and only buy locally caught fish from established fishermen who know what they're doing.

If you prefer to drink bottled water then drink it - but there's no danger involved in either drinking water from local taps or eating locally grown fruits and veggies.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4 284 posts
57 reviews
16 helpful votes
10. Re: Drinking water and fresh vegetables

In all our trips we have never had an issue and we drink tap water bringing our own bottles to refill so we don't add to the waste issues by buying bottled water. We bring a collapseable water gallon to take to the beach to rinse off the salt water.

Get answers to your questions about Coral Bay
Recent Conversations