We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skara Brae

Rockwall, Texas
4 posts
1 review
Skara Brae

What ferry do we take to get from Inverness to Skara Brae and back? Also, can this be done in one day?

19 replies to this topic
Rockwall, Texas
4 posts
1 review
11. Re: Skara Brae

Wow, thank you all for all the good information! Looks like I will be taking a two day, one night visit to the island!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9 885 posts
39 reviews
12. Re: Skara Brae

I think my favorites were Maeshowe and the Ring of Brodgar. I liked Skara Brae, too, but it was very wet and windy and cold when we were there at the end of June — like winter in Texas! Dress in layers and bring your waterproofs. Weather changes very fast in Orkney.

Orkneyjar is a great website all about Orkney, too: http://www.orkneyjar.com

Edited: 19 January 2017, 16:13
Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1 911 posts
30 reviews
13. Re: Skara Brae

txtravelboo, just to confuse you, the 'island' you are visiting is not referred to by the locals as an island, it's the Orkney 'Mainland'. As in the mainland of the Orkney Isles. Most of the sites you'll be visiting are on the West Mainland. When an Orcadian refers to the Mainland, they don't mean the great big lump of most of the rest of Britain to the south!

Edited: 19 January 2017, 16:26
Largo, Florida
10 posts
14. Re: Skara Brae

after clicking on the link for the ferries, it seems to me there is only an early ferry and then a late afternoon ferry which necessitates an overnite stay before visiting any sites. is this correct?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1 911 posts
30 reviews
15. Re: Skara Brae

Which link do you mean #14? There are four ferry routes to Orkney plus flights - one ferry, however, from John O'Groats is high season only and only for foot passengers.

You can get a 5pm ferry from Aberdeen, arriving 11pm (Northlink Ferries) - does not operate daily . You can choose from several daily sailings between Scrabster and Stromness (Northlink Ferries), or several daily sailings between Gills Bay and St Margaret's Hope (Pentland Ferries).

Largo, Florida
10 posts
16. Re: Skara Brae

I saw the one day tour out of Inverness to orkney and back but not the three day tour mentioned in this post.. the only thing I could get was something on a private three day tour called the short break? is this the same as the three day tour you mentioned?.

Largo, Florida
10 posts
17. Re: Skara Brae

can u tell me about your two day/one nite tour? cost? does it include overnite lodging?

Largo, Florida
10 posts
18. Re: Skara Brae

am trying to find out about a three day tour beginning in Inverness and going to Orkney then returning to Inverness. help?/

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1 911 posts
30 reviews
19. Re: Skara Brae

Mandsdietz, a link to a 3 day tour was given in post 2 - https:/…orkney-explorer-3-day-tour. This is from Inverness.

Reply to: Skara Brae
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mainland
Recent Conversations